Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 4/7] amd-xgbe: Move the PHY support into amd-xgbe

From: Tom Lendacky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 09:01:36 -0500

On 05/12/2015 05:19 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 12/05/15 12:22, Tom Lendacky wrote:
>> The AMD XGBE device is intended to work with a specific integrated PHY
>> and that PHY is not meant to be a standalone PHY for use by other
>> devices. As such this patch removes the phylib driver and implements
>> the PHY support in the amd-xgbe driver (the majority of the logic from
>> the phylib driver is moved into the amd-xgbe driver).
>
> Did not you submit a similar patch a while ago and David asked to keep
> the PHY driver separate? Even though the internal PHY driver might not
> be reusable on another platform, having your Ethernet driver implement a
> PHY library driver seems like a potential layering issue.

I interpreted what David said was that he asked to keep it separate
because I was still using the phy_device structure and calling into the
phy library API. This patch does not use the phy library API. I believe
what I'm doing now is no different than what other NIC drivers do that
manage their PHY(s) on integrated cards (e.g. ixgbe).

Thanks,
Tom