Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] DSA and Marvell 88E6352 802.1q support

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 17:14:33 -0700

On 31/05/15 14:21, Scott Feldman wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, that means we would expect users to
>> use bridge commands even on non-bridged dsa ports. I don't think we can
>> make this kind of assumption. Users will expect configure VLANs on
>> non-bridge ports as they would normally configure VLANs, using the 8021q
>> module.
>>
>> So I guess we'll have to support the ndo ops for dsa.
> 
> I think that's fine.  There is flexibility here.  Using the "bridge"
> command for non-bridged ports is a little weird.  You'll still need
> setlink to get the PVID/untagged flags, for the bridged-port cases, as
> was done in the original RFC patch.
> 
> I wonder if a new command "vlan" for the iproute2 pkg would be useful?
>  It would absorb the vconfig command options, making vconfig obsolete.
> Some of vconfig functionality is already in iproute2, for example "ip
> link add link ... type vlan ..."

I would definitively like to see that. Right now, this is a little
confusing for users to realize that using bridge + VLAN filtering is a
lot more powerful to configure a switch rather than using
vconfig/iproute add type vlan.
-- 
Florian