Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 3/3] net/xen-netback: Don't mix hexa and decimal with 0x in the printf format

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 01:29:16 +0300

Hello.

On 06/17/2015 01:09 AM, Joe Perches wrote:

>>> Append 0x to all %x in order to avoid while reading when there is other
>>> decimal value in the log.

> []

>>> @@ -874,7 +874,7 @@ static inline void xenvif_grant_handle_set(struct xenvif_queue *queue,
>>>    	if (unlikely(queue->grant_tx_handle[pending_idx] !=
>>>    		     NETBACK_INVALID_HANDLE)) {
>>>    		netdev_err(queue->vif->dev,
>>> -			   "Trying to overwrite active handle! pending_idx: %x\n",
>>> +			   "Trying to overwrite active handle! pending_idx: 0x%x\n",

>>      Using "%#x" is shorter ind does the same.

> That's true, but it's also far less common.

    Which is a pity... People just don't know the format specifiers well 
enough. :-(

> $ git grep -E "%#[\*\d\.]*x" | wc -l
> 1419
> $ git grep "0x%" | wc -l
> 29844

    Which means 29 KB could theoretically be saved on allyesconfig build. :-)
(Actually less since the width specifiers will likely need to be fixed where 
present.)

WBR, Sergei