Subject: Re: [PATCH] veth: replace iflink by a dedicated symlink in sysfs

From: Nicolas Dichtel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 16:31:11 +0200

Le 20/08/2015 13:53, Jiri Benc a écrit :
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:33:14 +0200, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
>> Probably better to introduce veth netlink attribute then, something like
>> IFLA_VETH_PEER and keeps IFLA_LINK_NETNSID.
>
> I'd prefer IFLA_PEER. More generic attribute will be helpful should we
> introduce an interface similar to veth in the future.s
Ok.

>
> Also, I'd not combine IFLA_LINK_NETNSID with IFLA_PEER. There might
> very well be an interface in the future that will need both IFLA_LINK and
> IFLA_PEER and this would just create a confusion. It may be unlikely
> but the attributes are cheap and it doesn't make sense to design uAPI
> in a way that might bring problems in the future.
Ok, but then this IFLA_PEER can include the ifindex and the nsid. No need
to have two new attributes.

>
>> I also don't know what is the best way to handle this. veth advertises
>> its peer via IFLA_LINK since 4.1, so it's too late to change it for this
>> release.
>
> Apparently we need to pick our poison. Either way, we break something.
Sure. I would prefer to have the same mechanism in all version, but I can
live with the other solution.

David, any thoughts about this?