Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2] bridge: vlan: allow to suppress local mac install for all vlans

From: roopa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 21:57:19 -0700

On 8/26/15, 4:33 AM, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote:
>> On Aug 25, 2015, at 11:06 PM, David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> From: Nikolay Aleksandrov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:28:16 -0700
>>
>>> Certainly, that should be done and I will look into it, but the
>>> essence of this patch is a bit different. The problem here is not
>>> the size of the fdb entries, it’s more the number of them - having
>>> 96000 entries (even if they were 1 byte ones) is just way too much
>>> especially when the fdb hash size is small and static. We could work
>>> on making it dynamic though, but still these type of local entries
>>> per vlan per port can easily be avoided with this option.
>> 96000 bits can be stored in 12k.  Get where I'm going with this?
>>
>> Look at the problem sideways.
> Oh okay, I misunderstood your previous comment. I’ll look into that.
>
I just wanted to add the other problems we have had with keeping these 
macs (mostly from userspace POV):
- add/del netlink notification storms
- and large netlink dumps

In addition to in-kernel optimizations, will be nice to have a solution 
that reduces the burden on userspace. That will need a newer netlink 
dump format for fdbs. Considering all the changes needed, Nikolays patch 
seems less intrusive.