Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v5 00/11] ipv6: Only create RTF_CACHE route after encountering pmtu exception

From: Alexander Holler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:27:35 +0200

Am 28.08.2015 um 09:36 schrieb Martin KaFai Lau:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:43:20AM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
>> That's why I vote to check out if it's possible/reasonable to backport this
>> series to the stable kernels.
> I have backported to 4.0.y without major issue, so possible.

Sure, as this was likely one of the versions they've used to create the 
patch.

> I did try on 3.1x and gave up.
>
> It is a lot of changes,  so I don't think it is a good idea for -stable.

Depends on what you're expecting from a (stable) kernel.

The patch description mentions what happens when a system deals with a 
lot of other ipv6-systems and that problem is easy to exercise and to value.

Rating the information leak is harder, some people even won't understand 
that this might be a problem.

And now look at which kernel-versions are now used in new devices 
(likely something <= 3.10, which is more than two years old), how long 
they will be used, and make a guess about IPv6 usage in 5 years.

Anyway, I've no insights about all the politics happening in the 
background (e.g. stuff like the LTSI tree) and I've just wanted raise 
awareness about that (imho important) patch series.

Regards,

Alexander Holler