Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 0/3] L3 RX handler

From: David Ahern <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 08:20:43 -0700

On 8/28/15 10:14 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 18:31:07 -0700
>
>> On Fri, 2015-08-28 at 17:34 -0700, David Ahern wrote:
>>> Currently the VRF driver registers an Rx handler for enslaved devices.
>>> The handler switches the skb->dev to the VRF device and sends it back for
>>> another pass. While this works fine a side effect is that it bypasses
>>> netfilter with the skb set to the original device.
>>>
>>
>> Arg ... yet another hook in packet processing fast path...
>>
>> What are long term plans for VRF ? Will it stay VRF-Lite or what ?
>
> +1
>

Cumulus Networks is invested in the VRF solution, and we will be here 
for the long haul. We want a feature complete, performant and stable 
solution for open networking. My preference is for a built-in solution 
rather than a bolted on one and I am trying to do that by engaging the 
community and getting feedback early for decisions and preferences.

As for the details, I am finishing IPv4 integration now. Basic VRF-lite 
situations work great and I have tested a few IPsec and MPLS setups as 
well. I have one more patch to address Tom's comment regarding 
udp_sendmsg; I need to verify it works for fragmentation and I'll push 
it out. After that I will start on IPv6 next week.

David