Subject: [P.A. Semi] Does the ethernet interface work on your Electra, Chitra, Nemo, and Athena board?

From: Christian Zigotzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 15:47:26 +0100

Hi All,

I compiled a lot of kernels for some git bisects and I have a result.

Test log

Kernel 4.3 git from Tue Sep 01, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet works
Kernel 4.3 git from Wed Sep 02, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet works
Kernel 4.3 git from Thu Sep 03, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet works
Kernel 4.3 git from Fri Sep 04, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
Kernel 4.3 git from Sat Sep 05, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
Kernel 4.3 git from Mon Sep 07, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
Kernel 4.3 git from Wed Sep 09, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
Kernel 4.3 git from Fri Sep 11, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
Kernel 4.3 RC1 from Sun Sep 13, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
Kernel 4.3 RC2 from Mon Sep 21, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work

git clone 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git linux-git

git bisect start

git bisect good ac0e137ab0da80e8fc0db2027598e2f7f82a5a02 2015-09-03 
00:07:10 (GMT)

git bisect bad 559ec2f8fd50981821621f52db5e1a8ffcf8d792 2015-09-04 
23:54:41 (GMT)

Output:

Bisecting: a merge base must be tested
[ba30011577330b7e29ecb5916d89c6db9fbc5b3d] clk: s5pv210: add missing 
call to samsung_clk_of_add_provider()

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 4381 revisions left to test after this (roughly 12 steps)
[3959df1dfb9538498ec3372a2d390bc7fbdbfac2] Merge branch 
'ras-core-for-linus' of 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 2561 revisions left to test after this (roughly 11 steps)
[1e1a4e8f439113b7820bc7150569f685e1cc2b43] Merge tag 'dm-4.3-changes' of 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 1280 revisions left to test after this (roughly 10 steps)
[94c10f0ea303473884f69edd6bbb0cedcf570105] ah4: Fix error return in 
ah_input().

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 697 revisions left to test after this (roughly 9 steps)
[4c92b5bb14226faa16d29a1df5752baf1ff22b53] Merge branch 'pcmcia' of 
git://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/linux-arm (2015-09-03 23:36:33 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 310 revisions left to test after this (roughly 9 steps)
[a4fdb2a46f617b8b2cd47acec026ec16532edbc6] Merge tag 'arm64-upstream' of 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arm64/linux (2015-09-04 
14:18:09 (GMT))

---

git bisect bad

Output:

Bisecting: 237 revisions left to test after this (roughly 8 steps)
[2db97045aa40da4312f7321845bc52b136c8603a] Merge branch '4.2-fixes' into 
mips-for-linux-next (2015-09-03 12:06:33 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 132 revisions left to test after this (roughly 7 steps)
[d690740f22f6520873f96e66aae7119ec2215755] powerpc/powernv: Enable LEDS 
support (2015-08-27 10:08:44 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 66 revisions left to test after this (roughly 6 steps)
[662ba3dbceca3ca284885a464ecb8c936f417003] arm64: mm: add __init section 
marker to free_initrd_mem (2015-07-27 17:29:18 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 33 revisions left to test after this (roughly 5 steps)
[259800135c654a098d9f0adfdd3d1f20eef1f231] powerpc/eeh: Fix fenced PHB 
caused by eeh_slot_error_detail() (2015-08-28 03:26:31 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 16 revisions left to test after this (roughly 4 steps)
[04b8637be92f284409651088f3856f4290a931d8] arm64: alternatives: ensure 
secondary CPUs execute ISB after patching (2015-08-04 17:52:09 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 8 revisions left to test after this (roughly 3 steps)
[8eafeb48022816513abc4f440bdad4c350fe81a3] of/fdt: make memblock maximum 
physical address arch configurable (2015-08-24 09:23:13 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 4 revisions left to test after this (roughly 2 steps)
[ff474e8ca8547d09cb82ebab56d4c96f9eea01ce] Merge tag 'powerpc-4.3-1' of 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux (2015-09-03 
23:41:38 (GMT))

---

git bisect bad

Output:

Bisecting: 1 revision left to test after this (roughly 1 step)
[55e07668fbba9466e6a9ef7650718356cda38406] cxl: Fix force unmapping 
mmaps of contexts allocated through the kernel api (2015-08-30 08:47:26 
(GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

Bisecting: 0 revisions left to test after this (roughly 0 steps)
[390fd5929f52bdfb9dfcc03820041ba556780f4a] cxl: Set up and enable PSL 
Timebase (2015-08-30 08:56:34 (GMT))

---

git bisect good

Output:

ff474e8ca8547d09cb82ebab56d4c96f9eea01ce is the first bad commit (Merge 
tag 'powerpc-4.3-1' of 
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux (2015-09-03 
23:41:38 (GMT))

---

Cheers,

Christian

On 30 November 2015 7:12 PM, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 06:08:23PM +0100, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have tested the PA Semi Ethernet with the kernels 4.2.3 and 4.3.0
>> today. With the kernel 4.2.3 it works but with the kernel 4.3.0
>> final it doesn't work.
>>
>> After that I tested some git kernels and release candidates of 4.3.
>>
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Tue Sep 01, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet works
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Wed Sep 02, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet works
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Thu Sep 03, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet works
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Fri Sep 04, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't
>> work (Merge tag 'powerpc-4.3-1': https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ff474e8ca8547d09cb82ebab56d4c96f9eea01ce)
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Sat Sep 05, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Mon Sep 07, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Wed Sep 09, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
>> Kernel 4.3 git from Fri Sep 11, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
>> Kernel 4.3 RC1 from Sun Sep 13, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
>> Kernel 4.3 RC2 from Mon Sep 21, 2015 -> PA Semi Ethernet doesn't work
>>
>> The problematic commit must be between Thu Sep 03, 2015 at 09:37 AM
>> (UTC +2) and Fri Sep 04, 2015 at 7:38 PM (UTC +2) in the linux git.
>>
>> Linux git: Between https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?ofs=15500
>> and https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?ofs=15200.
>>
>> Maybe https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ff474e8ca8547d09cb82ebab56d4c96f9eea01ce.
> Unless I miss something, that's the kind of regression that "git bisect" is
> designed to find.
>
>      Cheers,
>      Gabriel
> _______________________________________________
> Linuxppc-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/listinfo/linuxppc-dev