Subject: Re: [PATCH] stmmac: Don't exit mdio registration when mdio subnode is not found in the DTS

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 09:52:06 -0800

Le 02/01/2016 07:11, Romain Perier a écrit :
>>> Signed-off-by: Romain Perier <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Please include a Fixes tag to help keep track of changes.
> 
> Sure, sorry for my ignorance, but I did not know that we're supposed
> to add a Fixes tag in this situation.

It is a good practice and definitively helps making sure that if
regression entered a merge window, and a fix came in another merge
window, people can easily backport the fix, moving on..

[snip]

>> This looks reasonable, does it work if we just assign mdio_node to the pdev->dev.of_node to be backwards compatible with DTSes which have not yet been updated?
>>
> 
> I don't understand what you mean. Instead of defining mdio_node with
> NULL, you propose to assign it to pdev->dev.of_node as its default
> value... then it would be reassigned with "child_nod" if a subnode
> with the compatible string "snps,dwmac-mdio" is found, or kept with
> its default value otherwise... and in this case we could call
> of_mdiobus_register(new_bus, mdio_node) all the time ? (it removes the
> conditonnal branch)

Your understanding is correct, this is what I was suggesting, thanks
-- 
Florian