Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next] net: Add l3mdev cgroup

From: David Ahern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 12:59:15 -0700

On 1/4/16 12:23 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> I don't have an answer for that but cgroup isn't a place to put such
> stray configurations either.  Please figure out where the
> configuration belongs first.  What you're proposing really isn't a
> resource controller.  There's no resource being distributed
> hierarchically.  It's just dumping configuration which hasn't found
> its proper place into cgroup.

cgroups have very nice properties that I want to leverage such as 
parent-child inheritance and easy tracking which subsystem instance a 
task belongs. This provides a great kernel foundation for building easy 
to use management tools.

The documentation for cgroups does not restrict a controller to physical 
resources but rather "it may be anything that wants to act on a group of 
processes." That is exactly what I am doing here - I have a network 
config that is applied to a group of processes similar to net_cls and 
net_prio (but as I stated before those are orthogonal, independent 
settings from the L3 domain).