Subject: Re: [PATCH] stmmac: Don't exit mdio registration when mdio subnode is not found in the DTS

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 11:45:54 -0800

On 03/01/16 06:36, Romain Perier wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> 2016-01-02 18:52 GMT+01:00 Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>:
>>
>>>> This looks reasonable, does it work if we just assign mdio_node to the pdev->dev.of_node to be backwards compatible with DTSes which have not yet been updated?
>>>>
>>>
>>> I don't understand what you mean. Instead of defining mdio_node with
>>> NULL, you propose to assign it to pdev->dev.of_node as its default
>>> value... then it would be reassigned with "child_nod" if a subnode
>>> with the compatible string "snps,dwmac-mdio" is found, or kept with
>>> its default value otherwise... and in this case we could call
>>> of_mdiobus_register(new_bus, mdio_node) all the time ? (it removes the
>>> conditonnal branch)
>>
>> Your understanding is correct, this is what I was suggesting, thanks
> 
> So in this case, I already tested this yesterday, it does not work,
> basically because the for loop just after of_mdiobus_register is never
> executed, probably because new_bus->phy_map is not populated, which is
> not the case by calling mdiobus_register for example.
> of_mdiobus_register seems to populate this array of phys only for
> subnodes found in the devicetree...

Fair enough, then you initial patch with dropping IS_ENABLED() and
adding a "Fixes" tag should be resubmitted.

Thank you
-- 
Florian