Subject: Re: [PATCH net 2/2] DT: phy.txt: Clarify expected compatible values

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:25:15 -0800

On 26/01/16 17:06, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 04:33:11PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> On 26/01/16 16:11, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> PHY devices may only list clause 22, 45, and their PHY identifier
>>> values as compatible values. No other compatible strings are allowed.
>>> Make this clear in the documentation, and remove examples where
>>> make/model compatible strings are listed.
>>
>> Humm, should not we rather require Ethernet PHY Device Tree nodes to
>> have *at least* a "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22" or
>> "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c45", and any other compatible string which
>> further specifies the hardware is also welcome?
> 
> At the moment, "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c45" is used, we look for it
> and act upon it. "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22" is not used anywhere,
> other than my new of_mdiobus_child_is_phy(). Also, for backwards
> compatibility with older blobs, we can never assume one or the other
> will be present.
> 
> So you are suggesting we change around 200 ethphy nodes to add in
> "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22", yet we don't actually do anything with
> it?

Well, we do now, since that is one of the results used by
of_mdiobus_child_is_phy(), but you are right, this does not scale.

What I would prefer seeing though is not removing nodes that have at
least two compatible strings, including one that is
"ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22", but those which have only one, like the
marvell ones that you patch, should have either an additional
"ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22", or none.

Does that make sense?
-- 
Florian