Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH 7/7] net: ixgbe: add support for tc_u32 offload

From: "Fastabend, John R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 03:27:29 -0800

[...]

>> Ah I should have annotated this in the commit msg. I turn the feature
>> off by default to enable it the user needs to run
>>
>> 	# ethtool -K ethx hw-tc-offload on
>>
>> this is just a habit of mine to leave new features off by default for
>> a bit until I work out some of the kinks. For example I found a case
>> today where if you build loops into your u32 graph the hardware tables
>> can get out of sync with the software tables. This is sort of extreme
>> corner case not sure if anyone would really use u32 but it is valid
>> and the hardware should abort correctly.
> Yeh - that is nice :) But I was just pointing out on a small typo which I
> think you have.
> The new case will never happen. You compare: (features & NETIF_F_NTUPLE) == NETIF_F_HW_TC
> Also the comment before the switch should be modified.

Aha nice catch my scripts were enabling both ntuple and hw-tc-offload
for testing compatibility issues. I wonder if there is a bug somewhere
else though that checks that code most likely because it was definately
getting offloaded.

Good catch again thanks.

>> Thanks,
>> John