Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 1/9] amd-xgbe: Disable VLAN filtering when in promiscuous mode

From: Tom Lendacky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:09:34 -0600

On 02/16/2016 07:19 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Tom Lendacky <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:32:24 -0600
> 
>> +#ifndef CRCPOLY_LE
>> +#define CRCPOLY_LE 0xedb88320
>> +#endif
>> +static u32 xgbe_vid_crc32_le(__le16 vid_le)
> 
> Please do not implement yet another copy of a CRC implementation.
> 
> Make use of the various versions the kernel provides already instead,
> add Kconfig dependencies as needed.

I can't use the existing kernel implementations because there aren't
any that support the 12-bit length of the VLAN VID (lengths are all
at the byte level). I created this function (back when I added VLAN
filtering support in 2014 - it's only being moved in this patch)
because of this 12-bit length.

I do use the kernel functions in other areas, I just can't use them
here.

Thanks,
Tom

> Thanks.