Subject: PROBLEM: System hang when connecting USB modem (GCT/Yota LU150)

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 13:15:15 +0300

Hello,
[1.] System hang when connecting USB modem (LU150)
[2.] I'm running 4.4.5 kernel (Arch Linux). When this modem is connected 
I'm getting below trace in journal and system becomes unusable - lsusb, 
logout and some other operations lead to a complete hang, the only way 
out is hardware power off. This modem works perfectly on 4.1.20 kernel - 
attaching all outputs for both kernels.
[3.] USB WLAN MODEM
[4.] Linux version 4.4.5-1-zen (builduser@heftig) (gcc version 5.3.0 
(GCC) ) #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 12:43:55 UTC 2016
[5.] See journal excerpt at the bottom of this mail, also attached
[6.] Connect LU150 USB modem
[7.] Environment - see attached files
[7.1.] Software - see attached files
[7.2.] Processor information (from /proc/cpuinfo): see attached files
[7.3.] Module information (from /proc/modules): see attached files
[7.4.] Loaded driver and hardware information (/proc/ioports, 
/proc/iomem): see attached files
[7.5.] PCI information ('lspci -vvv' as root): see attached files

Apr 01 11:33:20 arch kernel: usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 2 
using xhci_hcd
Apr 01 11:33:21 arch mtp-probe[21357]: checking bus 2, device 2: 
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2"
Apr 01 11:33:21 arch mtp-probe[21357]: bus: 2, device: 2 was not an MTP 
device
Apr 01 11:33:21 arch kernel: usb-storage 2-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage 
device detected
Apr 01 11:33:21 arch kernel: scsi host2: usb-storage 2-2:1.0
Apr 01 11:33:21 arch kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver 
usb-storage
Apr 01 11:33:21 arch kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
Apr 01 11:33:22 arch kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM            GDM Mass 
                     PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
Apr 01 11:33:22 arch kernel: sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x caddy
Apr 01 11:33:22 arch kernel: cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Apr 01 11:33:22 arch kernel: sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
Apr 01 11:33:23 arch kernel: usb 2-2: USB disconnect, device number 2
Apr 01 11:33:23 arch kernel: cdrom: issuing MRW background format suspend
Apr 01 11:33:23 arch kernel: usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 
using xhci_hcd
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch mtp-probe[21398]: checking bus 2, device 3: 
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2"
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch mtp-probe[21398]: bus: 2, device: 3 was not an MTP 
device
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver 
cdc_ether
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer 
dereference at 0000000000000003
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: IP: [<ffffffffa0bc62a1>] 
usbnet_generic_cdc_bind+0x171/0x710 [cdc_ether]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: PGD 0
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: Modules linked in: rndis_host(+) cdc_ether 
usbnet mii sr_mod cdrom uas usb_storage mcryptd sha1_ssse3 sha1_generic 
cbc cts rpcsec_gss_krb5 nfsv4 dns_resolver sha256_ssse3 sha256_generic 
hmac drbg ansi_cprng dm_crypt algif_skcipher af_alg dm_mod fuse 
snd_hda_codec_hdmi nls_iso8859_1 nls_cp437 vfat fat joydev mousedev arc4 
iwlmvm dell_laptop dcdbas dell_wmi sparse_keymap ppdev iTCO_wdt 
iTCO_vendor_support intel_rapl x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_powerclamp 
coretemp kvm_intel mac80211 kvm irqbypass crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul 
crc32c_intel dell_smm_hwmon aesni_intel iwlwifi aes_x86_64 lrw gf128mul 
glue_helper ablk_helper cryptd psmouse evdev input_leds mac_hid 
serio_raw uvcvideo videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_memops videobuf2_v4l2 
videobuf2_core v4l2_common videodev media cfg80211 dell_led wmi
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  thermal fan dell_smo8800 dell_rbtn 
processor_thermal_device int3400_thermal int3402_thermal int3403_thermal 
acpi_thermal_rel int340x_thermal_zone intel_soc_dts_iosf iosf_mbi e1000e 
ptp shpchp parport_pc parport i915 drm_kms_helper snd_hda_codec_realtek 
snd_hda_codec_generic spi_pxa2xx_platform 8250_dw video dw_dmac 
dw_dmac_core snd_soc_sst_acpi gpio_lynxpoint elan_i2c fjes 
snd_soc_rt5640 snd_soc_rl6231 snd_soc_core i2c_hid hid snd_compress 
snd_pcm_dmaengine ac97_bus i2c_designware_platform i2c_designware_core 
snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hda_core battery drm intel_gtt 
syscopyarea sysfillrect rfkill sysimgblt mei_me fb_sys_fops snd_hwdep 
i2c_algo_bit pps_core acpi_pad ac snd_pcm snd_timer button mei snd 
soundcore i2c_i801 lpc_ich tpm_tis tpm processor acpi_als kfifo_buf 
industrialio
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  sch_fq_codel nfsd nfs_acl auth_rpcgss 
oid_registry vhost_net tun vhost macvtap macvlan nfs lockd grace sunrpc 
fscache bridge stp llc ip_tables x_tables ext4 crc16 mbcache jbd2 sd_mod 
atkbd libps2 xhci_pci ahci libahci ehci_pci ehci_hcd libata xhci_hcd 
scsi_mod sdhci_pci usbcore usb_common i8042 serio sdhci_acpi sdhci 
led_class mmc_core
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 21397 Comm: systemd-udevd Not 
tainted 4.4.5-1-zen #1
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: Hardware name: Dell Inc. Latitude 
E5450/0DCPV1, BIOS A12 01/11/2016
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: task: ffff8802131e8000 ti: ffff8800d7cac000 
task.ti: ffff8800d7cac000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: RIP: 0010:[<ffffffffa0bc62a1>] 
[<ffffffffa0bc62a1>] usbnet_generic_cdc_bind+0x171/0x710 [cdc_ether]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: RSP: 0018:ffff8800d7caf950  EFLAGS: 00010286
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff8801d9fcd840 
RCX: 0000000000000000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff8800d9960c00 
RDI: ffff88008c5eb800
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: RBP: ffff8800d7cafa10 R08: ffff8800ac1b7992 
R09: ffffffffa0bcf59b
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: R10: 0000000000000108 R11: 0000000000000339 
R12: ffff8800d9960c00
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: R13: 0000000000000001 R14: ffffffffa0bd1068 
R15: ffff8801d9fcd938
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: FS:  00007efc591987c0(0000) 
GS:ffff88021e480000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 
0000000080050033
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: CR2: 0000000000000003 CR3: 0000000081129000 
CR4: 00000000003406e0
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 
DR2: 0000000000000000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 
DR7: 0000000000000400
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: Stack:
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  0000000000000000 0000000000000001 
ffff8801d9fcd2a8 0000000000000000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  0000000000000000 ffff8800ac1b7992 
ffff8800ac1b799b 0000000000000000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
0000000000000000 0000000000000000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: Call Trace:
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa0bcf5b2>] 
generic_rndis_bind+0x62/0x520 [rndis_host]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff81499e82>] ? 
alloc_netdev_mqs+0x302/0x440
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa0bcfa83>] rndis_bind+0x13/0x20 
[rndis_host]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa0bb7910>] 
usbnet_probe+0x320/0x8c0 [usbnet]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa00a020d>] 
usb_probe_interface+0x1bd/0x300 [usbcore]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f9072>] 
driver_probe_device+0x222/0x4a0
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f9374>] __driver_attach+0x84/0x90
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f92f0>] ? 
driver_probe_device+0x4a0/0x4a0
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f6cac>] 
bus_for_each_dev+0x6c/0xc0
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f882e>] driver_attach+0x1e/0x20
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f837b>] 
bus_add_driver+0x1eb/0x280
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff813f9d00>] driver_register+0x60/0xe0
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa009ed44>] 
usb_register_driver+0x84/0x140 [usbcore]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa0bd4000>] ? 0xffffffffa0bd4000
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffffa0bd401e>] 
rndis_driver_init+0x1e/0x1000 [rndis_host]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff81002123>] 
do_one_initcall+0xb3/0x200
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff811638a7>] do_init_module+0x5f/0x1d8
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff810fdc8a>] load_module+0x21aa/0x2820
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff810fab50>] ? 
symbol_put_addr+0x50/0x50
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff810fe44e>] 
SyS_init_module+0x14e/0x190
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  [<ffffffff815a182e>] 
entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x12/0x6d
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: Code: ff 48 8b 95 60 ff ff ff 48 8b 85 58 
ff ff ff 48 8b 3b 48 89 93 f8 00 00 00 48 8b 55 88 48 89 83 00 01 00 00 
48 89 93 08 01 00 00 <0f> b6 70 03 e8 76 7d 4c ff 48 89 83 10 01 00 00 
48 8b 83 00 01
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: RIP  [<ffffffffa0bc62a1>] 
usbnet_generic_cdc_bind+0x171/0x710 [cdc_ether]
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel:  RSP <ffff8800d7caf950>
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: CR2: 0000000000000003
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch kernel: ---[ end trace 63c04abadd6495b4 ]---
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch systemd-udevd[217]: worker [21397] terminated by 
signal 9 (Killed)
Apr 01 11:33:24 arch systemd-udevd[217]: worker [21397] failed while 
handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0'
Apr 01 11:33:53 arch kernel: usb 2-2: USB disconnect, device number 3

-- 
/--Regards, Aleksei Kovura/