Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: socket: return a proper error code when source address becomes nonlocal

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:55:34 +0300

Hello.

On 4/4/2016 10:09 AM, Liping Zhang wrote:

> From: Liping Zhang <[email-masked]>
>
> 1. Socket can use bind(directly) or connect(indirectly) to bind to a local
>     ip address, and later if the network becomes down, that cause the source
>     address becomes nonlocal, then send() call will fail and return EINVAL.
>     But this error code is confusing, acctually we did not pass any invalid
>     arguments. Furthermore, send() maybe return ok at first, it now returns
>     fail just because of a temporary network problem, i.e. when the network
>     recovery, send() call will become ok. Return EADDRNOTAVAIL instead of
>     EINVAL in such situation is better.
> 2. We can use IPV6_PKTINFO to specify the ipv6 source address when call
>     sendmsg() to send packet, but if the address is not available, call will
>     fail and EINVAL is returned. This error code is not very appropriate,
>     it failed maybe just because of a temporary network problem. Also
>     RFC3542, section 6.6 describe an example returns EADDRNOTAVAIL:
>     "ipi6_ifindex specifies an interface but the address ipi6_addr is not
>     available for use on that interface.". So return EADDRNOTAVAIL instead
>     of EINVAL here.
>
> Signed-off-by: Liping Zhang <[email-masked]>

    I think this should be 2 patches as you seem to fix 2 separate problems.

[...]

MBR, Sergei