Subject: Re: davinci-mdio: failing to connect to PHY

From: Petr Kulhavy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:50:02 +0200

On 04.04.2016 14:31, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>   
> Hi Petr
>
> You might want to take a look at:
>
> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/ethernet/ti/davinci_mdio.c#L137
>
> It seems to be asking the hardware about the phy mask.
>
>     Andrew

Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for the link. In the meantime I've understood the issue 
better. It is due to the fact that the PHY is pin-strapped to address 1 
and broadcast (at address 0) is  enabled. The Micrel driver's 
config_init() disables the broadcast and the PHY stops responding, which 
causes the troubles. The kernel 3.17 didn't disable the broadcast and 
therefore it worked.

I'm wondering how to solve or workaround this...

Petr