Subject: Re: [Lsf] [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Generic page-pool recycle facility?

From: Bart Van Assche <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 08:11:51 -0700

On 04/07/16 07:38, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> This is also very interesting for storage targets, which face the same
> issue.  SCST has a mode where it caches some fully constructed SGLs,
> which is probably very similar to what NICs want to do.

I think a cached allocator for page sets + the scatterlists that 
describe these page sets would not only be useful for SCSI target 
implementations but also for the Linux SCSI initiator. Today the scsi-mq 
code reserves space in each scsi_cmnd for a scatterlist of 
SCSI_MAX_SG_SEGMENTS. If scatterlists would be cached together with page 
sets less memory would be needed per scsi_cmnd. See also 
scsi_mq_setup_tags() and scsi_alloc_sgtable().

Bart.

--
To unsubscribe, send a message with 'unsubscribe linux-mm' in
the body to [email-masked].  For more info on Linux MM,
see: http://www.linux-mm.org/ .
Don't email: <a href=mailto:"[email-masked]"> [email-masked] </a>