Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] [v4] net: emac: emac gigabit ethernet controller driver

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:00:35 -0500

Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> For platform devices being populated via from DT you will pass:
> of_platform_bus_create()
>    of_platform_device_create_pdata()
>      of_dma_configure()
>
> Which calls of_dma_get_range() to acquire this information from the
> dma-ranges property and set up the dma ops and properties.

This seems excessive.  I have to create a platform bus just to configure 
the DMA mask?  Most drivers just call dma_set_mask and give it a number, 
and that's not device-tree specific.  I also need to come up with a way 
to get this to work on ACPI.

I just seems like a lot of work only because I need to determine at 
runtime what my DMA mask is.  I also don't see any drivers that call 
of_dma_configure().

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora
Forum, a Linux Foundation collaborative project.