Subject: Re: [PATCH RFT 1/2] phylib: add device reset GPIO support

From: Sergei Shtylyov <sergei.shtylyov-M4DtvfQ/[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 22:11:54 +0300

Hello.

On 05/10/2016 09:32 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:

>> The PHY devices sometimes do have their reset signal (maybe even power
>> supply?) tied to some GPIO and sometimes it also does happen that a boot
>> loader does not leave it deasserted. So far this issue has been attacked
>> from (as I believe) a wrong angle: by teaching the MAC driver to manipulate
>> the GPIO in question; that solution, when applied to the device trees, led
>> to adding the PHY reset GPIO properties to the MAC device node, with one
>> exception: Cadence MACB driver which could handle the "reset-gpios" prop
>> in a PHY device subnode. I believe that the correct approach is to teach
>> the 'phylib' to get the MDIO device reset GPIO from the device tree node
>> corresponding to this device -- which this patch is doing...
>>
>> Note that I had to modify the  AT803x PHY driver as it would stop working
>> otherwise as it made use of the reset GPIO for its own purposes...
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Sergei Shtylyov <sergei.shtylyov-M4DtvfQ/[email-masked]>
>
> This looks good to me:
>
> Acked-by: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>

    Thank you! I'll send v3 without [RFT] then.

> Can you follow up with changes in phy_{suspend,resume}

    I'm not sure what changes you mean -- powering down the PHYs?

> if that is also
> an use case that you have?

    No, I'm not into power management.

MBR, Sergei

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html