Subject: Re: [PATCH -next 2/2] virtio_net: Read the advised MTU

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 11:02:43 -0700

On 06/02/2016 10:06 AM, Aaron Conole wrote:
> Rick Jones <[email-masked]> writes:
>> One of the things I've been doing has been setting-up a cluster
>> (OpenStack) with JumboFrames, and then setting MTUs on instance vNICs
>> by hand to measure different MTU sizes.  It would be a shame if such a
>> thing were not possible in the future.  Keeping a warning if shrinking
>> the MTU would be good, leave the error (perhaps) to if an attempt is
>> made to go beyond the advised value.
>
> This was cut because it didn't make sense for such a warning to
> be issued, but it seems like perhaps you may want such a feature?  I
> agree with Michael, after thinking about it, that I don't know what sort
> of use the warning would serve.  After all, if you're changing the MTU,
> you must have wanted such a change to occur?

I don't need a warning, was simply willing to live with one when 
shrinking the MTU.  Didn't want an error.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones