Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: smsc911x: If PHY doesn't have an interrupt then POLL

From: Jeremy Linton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:50:47 -0500

On 06/14/2016 05:26 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> 	This was DT as well with a recent fedora/NetworkManager. It
>> actually seems to be timing related to how fast the device gets
>> configured after the initial phy probe. There is something like a 1
>> second window or so where it will work, but if network manager takes
>> longer than that, the link state drops and cannot be brought back up
>> unless the cable is pulled, replugged while the netdevice is being
>> restarted.
>
> Ah!
>
> There is another bug in the driver. The phy is connected to the netdev
> after calling register_netdev(). You are supposed to do it before,
> because the interface is usable, and can be used, directly after the
> register.
>
> Move the call to smsc911x_mii_init() before the register_netdev().

	Yah, I buy that, and will move it an see what happens.

	But it doesn't solve the problem of the module use count being bumped 
in the probe rather than the ndo_open(). The users of 
phy_connect_direct() seem to be split between using it in the probe, and 
using it in the ndo_open (pxa168, and ax88796 for two examples of using 
it in the open).