Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH 1/2] net: pktgen: support injecting packets for qdisc testing

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:53:02 -0700

On 16-06-30 03:21 AM, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
> On 16-06-29 03:47 PM, John Fastabend wrote:
>> Add another xmit_mode to pktgen to allow testing xmit functionality
>> of qdiscs. The new mode "queue_xmit" injects packets at
>> __dev_queue_xmit() so that qdisc is called.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
>> ---

[...]

> 
> Acked-by: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
> 
> In travel mode, dont have much cycles right now - but can you review
> again:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg359545.html
> I think you should disallow clone for example and i wasnt sure if you
> covered all error scenarios etc.
> 

Taking a look at the link couple differences exist. First the patch
linked does a 'netif_xmit_frozen_or_drv_stopped(txq)' check but this
really shouldn't be needed it is handled by the sch_direct_xmit()
logic in ./net/sched

Also in this patch I made it way more conservative on when to back
off then my original patch and now its closer to the one linked except
I also back off with return code NET_XMIT_CN.

As for clones what is the concern exactly? We allow them through the
ingress pktgen mode that can hit classifiers and I don't see any issues
testing with them.

.John

> cheers,
> jamal