Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND] iwlwifi, Do not implement thermal zone unless ucode is loaded

From: Prarit Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 08:14:15 -0400

On 07/15/2016 07:25 AM, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:44:22AM +0000, Grumbach, Emmanuel wrote:
>>> If I understad correctly this error happen 100% of the time, not only during
>>> init. Hence seems there is an issue here, i.e. cur_ucode is not marked
>>> correctly as IWL_UCODE_REGULAR or iwl_mvm_get_temp() fail 100% of the
>>> time (iwl_mvm_is_tt_in_fw() incorrecly return true on Prarit device ? ).
>>
>> Cur_ucode will not be IWL_UCODE_REGULAR until you load the firmware which
>> will happen upon ifup.
> 
> Then creating thermal_device on ifup looks more reasonable to me.
> Otherwise we can create device that can be non-functional virtually
> forever, i.e. when soft RFKILL is enabled. However I admit that
> creating thermal_device when HW is detected has some advantages
> too.

That's my plan right now.  Unfortunately something else in the kernel seems
recently broken and is preventing me from testing.  I will get back to this
early next week.

P.
> Stanislaw