Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next V2 5/5] net/mlx4: Add VST QinQ support

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:12:46 -0700

On 16-07-25 04:15 AM, Tariq Toukan wrote:
> From: Moshe Shemesh <[email-masked]>
> 
> Move the vf to VST QinQ mode by setting vf vlan protocol to 802.1ad.
> Read current vlan protocol as part of the vf configuration state.
> Upon setting VST QinQ, we use a mechanism of handshake to verify that
> both the vf and the pf driver version support it.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Moshe Shemesh <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Tariq Toukan <[email-masked]>
> ---

A typical use case I would expect is the administrator on the PF wants
to set both the outer tag (S-VLAN) and inner tag (C-VLAN) of a VM.

It seems this only allows the administrator to set the outer tag but
does allow select type of the tag.

I am mostly interested because this is establishing a UAPI and we should
be sure it can handle future use cases. What about making the
ifla_vf_vlan struct handle multiple layers of headers, by passing a
nested list of {qos + vlan + vlan_proto} tuples for each vf.

Just curious does the hardware support the above S-VLAN + C-VLAN use
case as well?

Thanks,
John