Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH] e1000: add initial XDP support

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:33:13 -0700

[...]

> I think given how ancient the e1000 is we may see the driver being
> a contributing overhead. I believe XDP given location will do
> well - but for this kind of driver my gut feeling is probably not
> by large margin.
> 

Right so just ran the baseline, xdp, tc spread and its all more or
less in the noise where you drop the packets doesn't matter much. At
least in my setup where I'm running e1000 in a VM backed by a tap
device. I don't have a physical e1000 in my system at the moment to
test.

I still think this code is valuable though because it lets me run
the same XDP program in a e1000 VM that I'm running on my 10/40Gbps
NIC. Also it gives me a nice test platform to work on.

I'm going to resubmit the patch with a couple of the fixes pointed out
by others.

Thanks,
John