Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH v2 2/2] e1000: bundle xdp xmit routines

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 17:01:43 -0700

On 16-09-09 04:44 PM, Tom Herbert wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM, John Fastabend <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> e1000 supports a single TX queue so it is being shared with the stack
>> when XDP runs XDP_TX action. This requires taking the xmit lock to
>> ensure we don't corrupt the tx ring. To avoid taking and dropping the
>> lock per packet this patch adds a bundling implementation to submit
>> a bundle of packets to the xmit routine.
>>
>> I tested this patch running e1000 in a VM using KVM over a tap
>> device using pktgen to generate traffic along with 'ping -f -l 100'.
>>
> Hi John,
> 
> How does this interact with BQL on e1000?
> 
> Tom
> 

Let me check if I have the API correct. When we enqueue a packet to
be sent we must issue a netdev_sent_queue() call and then on actual
transmission issue a netdev_completed_queue().

The patch attached here missed a few things though.

But it looks like I just need to call netdev_sent_queue() from the
e1000_xmit_raw_frame() routine and then let the tx completion logic
kick in which will call netdev_completed_queue() correctly.

I'll need to add a check for the queue state as well. So if I do these
three things,

	check __QUEUE_STATE_XOFF before sending
	netdev_sent_queue() -> on XDP_TX
	netdev_completed_queue()

It should work agree? Now should we do this even when XDP owns the
queue? Or is this purely an issue with sharing the queue between
XDP and stack.

.John