Subject: Is Documentation/networking/phy.txt still up-to-date?

From: Sebastian Frias <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 14:24:56 +0100

Hi,

Documentation/networking/phy.txt discusses phy_connect and states that:

 "...

 interface is a u32 which specifies the connection type used
 between the controller and the PHY.  Examples are GMII, MII,
 RGMII, and SGMII.  For a full list, see include/linux/phy.h

 Now just make sure that phydev->supported and phydev->advertising have any
 values pruned from them which don't make sense for your controller (a 10/100
 controller may be connected to a gigabit capable PHY, so you would need to
 mask off SUPPORTED_1000baseT*).  See include/linux/ethtool.h for definitions
 for these bitfields. Note that you should not SET any bits, or the PHY may
 get put into an unsupported state.

 ..."

However, 'drivers/net/ethernet/aurora/nb8800.c' for example, does SETs some
bits (in function 'nb8800_pause_adv').

I checked 'drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmmii.c' and that one CLEARs
bits (as per the documentation).

Does anybody knows what is the correct/recommended approach?

Best regards,

Sebastian