Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH v2 0/5] XDP adjust head support for virtio

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 08:39:13 -0800

[...]

> However, I came up with a new idea for the future and I'd like to show
> where I'm going.  The idea is that we don't use s/g buffers on RX, so we
> have a pointer per descriptor untapped.  So we can allow users to stick
> their own pointer in there, if they promise not to use s/g on this vq.
> With a full extra pointer to play with, we can go wild.

I looked at this quickly it seems like it would work and allow us to avoid
the reset. However, it seems like a lot of churn to avoid a single reset.
I don't see the reset itself as being that bad of an operation. I agree the
reset is not ideal though.

Are there any other use cases for this other than XDP?

> 
> Take a look but it doesn't even build yet.
> Need to roll it out to all devices etc.
> 
> --->
> 

[...]