Subject: [PATCH 0/5] VSOCK: support mergeable rx buffer in vhost-vsock

From: jiangyiwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 15:43:24 +0800

Now vsock only support send/receive small packet, it can't achieve
high performance. As previous discussed with Jason Wang, I revisit the
idea of vhost-net about mergeable rx buffer and implement the mergeable
rx buffer in vhost-vsock, it can allow big packet to be scattered in
into different buffers and improve performance obviously.

I write a tool to test the vhost-vsock performance, mainly send big
packet(64K) included guest->Host and Host->Guest. The result as
follows:

Before performance:
              Single socket            Multiple sockets(Max Bandwidth)
Guest->Host   ~400MB/s                 ~480MB/s
Host->Guest   ~1450MB/s                ~1600MB/s

After performance:
              Single socket            Multiple sockets(Max Bandwidth)
Guest->Host   ~1700MB/s                ~2900MB/s
Host->Guest   ~1700MB/s                ~2900MB/s

>>From the test results, the performance is improved obviously, and guest
memory will not be wasted.

---

Yiwen Jiang (5):
  VSOCK: support fill mergeable rx buffer in guest
  VSOCK: support fill data to mergeable rx buffer in host
  VSOCK: support receive mergeable rx buffer in guest
  VSOCK: modify default rx buf size to improve performance
  VSOCK: batch sending rx buffer to increase bandwidth

 drivers/vhost/vsock.c                   | 135 +++++++++++++++++++++++------
 include/linux/virtio_vsock.h            |  15 +++-
 include/uapi/linux/virtio_vsock.h       |   5 ++
 net/vmw_vsock/virtio_transport.c        | 147 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
 net/vmw_vsock/virtio_transport_common.c |  59 +++++++++++--
 5 files changed, 300 insertions(+), 61 deletions(-)

-- 
1.8.3.1