Subject: Re: [PATCH] dt-bindings: mark unimplemented AXI snps,kbbe snps,mb and snps,rb

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2026 09:43:49 +0100

On 09/03/2026 18:49, Conor Dooley wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2026 at 12:05:18AM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
>> Any chance of a review from the DT maintainers please?
> 
> Sure.
> 
>> On Wed, Mar 04, 2026 at 05:30:32PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
>>> Mark the AXI snps,kbbe snps,mb and snps,rb properties as not
>>> implemented. These were introduced by commit afea03656add ("stmmac:
>>> rework DMA bus setting and introduce new platform AXI structure").
>>> While stmmac has code to parse these properties and save their values,
>>> these are written to write-only struct members - no code in stmmac
>>> has ever read their value. Hence, these properties have been non-
>>> functional from day one.
> 
> If they're not implemented and have never been used, could we delete
> entirely? Note that they also appear down around line 600 in the file,
> in the stmmac-axi-config section.
> 

We should not document what is and what is not implemented, thus this
patch is not correct either. Either you deprecate properties, based on
some argument, or you leave them untouched regardless whether they are
implemented or not. If someone re-implements them next week, are you
going to change the binding? Usually no, unless these are not really
hardware properties.

Best regards,
Krzysztof