Subject: Re: A problem with "ip=..." ipconfig and Atheros alx driver.

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 20:15:24 +0300

Hi Johannes,

30.04.2021 15:08, Johannes Berg:
>> rtnl_unlock(). Hence this delay and timeout.
>
> Fun. But we can just do it synchronously?
>
> https://p.sipsolutions.net/e4f076ed1b4c8a78.txt

Wow, that was quick! Thanks! However, unfortunately this patch still 
does not quite fix the problem. Although alx_check_link() now gets 
called synchronously at open, it somehow does not pass below the "if 
(old_speed == hw->link_speed) return" line here. I'd guess it is because 
the chip is not yet able to report meaningfull values immediately after 
initialization. The result is still the same: 120 seconds timeout 
happens, then the "eth0: NIC Up: 1 Gbps Full" message appears 
immediately and all is fine after that.
I'll do some more testing later today.

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai

> johannes