Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 problem on 486.

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 19:09:31 +0300

Hi all,

01.06.2021 14:42, Heiner Kallweit:
[...]
> Great, so you have a solution for your problem, as i would expect that this
> setting also makes 8139too in newer kernels usable for you.

Well, not exactly, although I'm definitely getting close to some sort of 
satisfactory solution, and I appreciate all the helpfull replies.

Relying on this BIOS setting is still not good, because yet another 
motherboard I've just tested today does not have it (or at least in no 
evident form anyway).

> This hardware is so old that it's not very likely someone spends effort on this.

Now I'd like to ask, is quality reliable fix still wanted in mainline or 
rather not? Because I'll personally do my best to create/find a good fix 
anyway, but if it is of zero interest for mainline, I'll probably not 
invest much time into communicating it. My understanding was that 
default rule is "if broken go fix it" but due to the age of both code 
and hardware, maybe it is considered frozen or some such (I'm just not 
aware really).

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai