Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 problem on 486.

From: Nikolai Zhubr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 19:31:59 +0300

22.06.2021 22:26, Arnd Bergmann:
[...]
> As I said before, I still think we should also merge the 8139 driver patch,
> probably without that loop. It's not great, but I'm much more confident
> I understand what that does and that the patched version is better than
> the current code.

Yes, the 'poll' approach apparently works stable and does not cause any 
measurable performance decrease. But it would need some carefull 
cleanup/review, especially WRT locking. Now that all real event handling 
work is happening in the poll function, it still has to be protected 
against the (potentially also long-running) reset function which in 
current design can be called e.g. from a different thread due to tx 
timeout, and this does not look good, but it is a bit beyond my 
capability to arrange it better. Besides, the idea was to keep the fix 
simple and avoid a massive rework...

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai

>        Arnd