Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] net: dsa: Implement ndo_get_phys_port_name()

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:58:53 -0800

On 01/10/2017 12:50 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:32:36PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Return the physical port number of a DSA created network device using
>> ndo_get_phys_port_name().
> 
> At what level does this need to be unique?

This needs to be unique to the switch I would say,
ndo_get_phys_switch_id would return the physical number of the switch
device in the tree/cluster, so that number plus the port name should be
an unique differentiator that is good enough for e.g: a persistent
naming rule?

> 
> We can have multiple switches within one switch cluster. p->port will
> be unique within one switch, but can be repeated in a cluster.
> 
> We can also have multiple clusters, and again p->port will be re-used.

-- 
Florian