Subject: Re: [PATCH bpf-next 0/3] XDP bonding support

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:37:03 -0700

Jussi Maki <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 7:24 PM Andrii Nakryiko
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 6:55 AM Jussi Maki <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >
>> > This patchset introduces XDP support to the bonding driver.
>> >
>> > Patch 1 contains the implementation, including support for
>> > the recently introduced EXCLUDE_INGRESS. Patch 2 contains a
>> > performance fix to the roundrobin mode which switches rr_tx_counter
>> > to be per-cpu. Patch 3 contains the test suite for the implementation
>> > using a pair of veth devices.
>> >
>> > The vmtest.sh is modified to enable the bonding module and install
>> > modules. The config change should probably be done in the libbpf
>> > repository. Andrii: How would you like this done properly?
>>
>> I think vmtest.sh and CI setup doesn't support modules (not easily at
>> least). Can we just compile that driver in? Then you can submit a PR
>> against libbpf Github repo to adjust the config. We have also kernel
>> CI repo where we'll need to make this change.
>
>Unfortunately the mode and xmit_policy options of the bonding driver
>are module params, so it'll need to be a module so the different modes
>can be tested. I already modified vmtest.sh [1] to "make
>module_install" into the rootfs and enable the bonding module via
>scripts/config, but a cleaner approach would probably be to, as you
>suggested, update latest.config in libbpf repo and probably get the
>"modules_install" change into vmtest.sh separately (if you're happy
>with this approach). What do you think?

	The bonding mode and xmit_hash_policy (and any other option) can
be changed via "ip link"; no module parameter needed, e.g.,

ip link set dev bond0 type bond xmit_hash_policy layer2

	-J

>[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/T/#maaf15ecd6b7c3af764558589118a3c6213e0af81

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, [email-masked]