Subject: [RFC] add missing MODULE_DESCRIPTION to drivers/net/*

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:32:37 +0200

Hello, 

we would like to add a built-time check for missing MODULE_DESCRIPTION (as it exists for MODULE_LICENSE) and currently have >400 modules which are missing that field.

As modinfo should provide necessary basic information about a module to the end-user, it`s bad if he needs the whole kernel-source for getting that information.

Attached is a list of drivers from drivers/net/* currently lacking MODULE_DESCRIPTION. 

I have created the description, mostly from what`s in Kconfig or the driver comments.

If welcomed, please could you give a comment if this list is ok or fix it appropriately ? 

I will then create a patch from that and send it here (and continue with net/* )

regards
Roland Kletzing

drivers/net/8390.o -  8390 core for usual drivers
drivers/net/appletalk/ipddp.o - IP<->Appletalk-IP Encapsulation/Decapsulation driver
drivers/net/arcnet/arc-rawmode.o - ARCnet driver - "raw mode" packet encapsulation
drivers/net/arcnet/arc-rimi.o - ARCnet driver for "RIM I" cards
drivers/net/arcnet/arcnet.o - ARCnet driver - device-independent routines
drivers/net/arcnet/capmode.o - ARCnet driver - "cap mode" packet encapsulation
drivers/net/arcnet/com20020-pci.o - ARCnet driver - COM20020 PCI support
drivers/net/arcnet/com20020.o - ARCnet driver - COM20020 chipset support
drivers/net/arcnet/com90io.o - ARCnet driver - COM90xx chipset
drivers/net/arcnet/com90xx.o - ARCnet driver - COM90xx chipset
drivers/net/arcnet/rfc1051.o - ARCnet driver - RFC1051 ("simple" standard) packet encapsulation
drivers/net/arcnet/rfc1201.o - ARCnet driver - RFC1201 (standard) packet encapsulation
drivers/net/bsd_comp.o - PPP "BSD compress" compression
drivers/net/de600.o - driver for the D-Link DE-600 Ethernet pocket adapter
drivers/net/de620.o - driver for the D-Link DE-620 Ethernet pocket adapter
drivers/net/dummy.o - dummy net driver
drivers/net/eql.o - Equalizer Load-balancer for serial network interfaces
drivers/net/ifb.o - Intermediate Functional Block support
drivers/net/pcmcia/com20020_cs.o - ARCnet driver - COM20020 PCMCIA support
drivers/net/pcmcia/ibmtr_cs.o - PCMCIA token-ring driver for IBM-based cards
drivers/net/phy/mdio-bitbang.o - Bitbanged MDIO support
drivers/net/plip.o - parallel port "network" driver
drivers/net/ppp_async.o - PPP async serial channel driver
drivers/net/ppp_deflate.o - PPP Deflate compression
drivers/net/ppp_generic.o - Generic PPP layer
drivers/net/ppp_synctty.o - PPP synchronous tty channel driver
drivers/net/s2io.o - Linux PCI-X Ethernet driver for Neterion 10GbE Server NIC
drivers/net/skfp/skfp.o - device driver supporting the SysKonnect FDDI PCI controller family
drivers/net/slhc.o - Van Jacobsen serial line header compression
drivers/net/slip.o - Serial Line Internet Protocol driver
drivers/net/smsc9420.o - SMSC LAN9420 PCI ethernet adapter driver
drivers/net/sungem_phy.o - PHY drivers for the sungem ethernet driver
drivers/net/tokenring/abyss.o - network driver for the Madge Smart 16/4 PCI Mk2 token ring card
drivers/net/tokenring/tms380tr.o - network driver library for Texas Instruments TMS380-based Token Ring Adapters
drivers/net/tokenring/tmspci.o - generic network driver for TMS380-based PCI token ring cards
drivers/net/tulip/de4x5.o - DIGITAL DC21x4x DECchip and DE425/DE434/DE435/DE450/DE500 ethernet driver
drivers/net/wan/lmc/lmc.o - Driver for the LanMedia LMC5200, LMC5245, LMC1000, LMC1200 cards
drivers/net/wan/sbni.o - Granch SBNI12 leased line adapters driver
drivers/net/wan/x25_asy.o - X.25 async driver
drivers/net/wireless/netwave_cs.o - Netwave AirSurfer Wireless LAN PC Card driver
drivers/net/wireless/p54/p54spi.o - Prism54 SPI (stlc45xx) driver
drivers/net/wireless/wavelan_cs.o - Wavelan Pcmcia driver

> Von: Sam Ravnborg <[email-masked]>
> Gesendet: 16.04.09 13:23:46
> An: [email-masked]
> CC: Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Betreff: Re: Should MODULE_DESCRIPTION be mandatory ?

> > > 
> > 
> > i can offer spending an afternoon (or more) on compiling a list of modulenames + missing description for review.
> > if that list is complete and ack`ed, i could create a patch or patch series from that. 
> > (maybe the list could be split into logical parts, too)
> 
> If you do this then you should feed the patches via the maintainers.
> I suggest to start out with the network stuff and see if netdev/David Miller
> will take them.
> 
> 	Sam
> 

____________________________________________________________________
Psssst! Schon vom neuen WEB.DE MultiMessenger gehört? 
Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.produkte.web.de/messenger/?did=3123