Subject: Re: [syzbot] [hams?] possible deadlock in nr_rt_device_down (3)

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2024 21:34:19 -0800

syzbot has found a reproducer for the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    9b2ffa6148b1 Merge tag 'mtd/fixes-for-6.13-rc5' of git://g..
git tree:       upstream
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=11dac0b0580000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=4c4096b0d467a682
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=ccdfb85a561b973219c7
compiler:       Debian clang version 15.0.6, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40
syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=14869adf980000

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/dbe249d9f678/disk-9b2ffa61.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/ef6ad79e83bf/vmlinux-9b2ffa61.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/4d67490d157d/bzImage-9b2ffa61.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

======================================================
WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
6.13.0-rc4-syzkaller-00012-g9b2ffa6148b1 #0 Not tainted
------------------------------------------------------
syz.3.1344/8689 is trying to acquire lock:
ffffffff8fdf2318 (nr_node_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}, at: spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
ffffffff8fdf2318 (nr_node_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}, at: nr_rt_device_down+0xb5/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:517

but task is already holding lock:
ffffffff8fdf22b8 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}, at: spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
ffffffff8fdf22b8 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}, at: nr_rt_device_down+0x28/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:514

which lock already depends on the new lock.

the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

-> #2 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}:
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5849
       __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
       _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
       spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
       nr_remove_neigh net/netrom/nr_route.c:307 [inline]
       nr_dec_obs net/netrom/nr_route.c:472 [inline]
       nr_rt_ioctl+0x398/0xfb0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:692
       sock_do_ioctl+0x158/0x460 net/socket.c:1209
       sock_ioctl+0x626/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1328
       vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
       __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:906 [inline]
       __se_sys_ioctl+0xf5/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:892
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

-> #1 (&nr_node->node_lock){+...}-{3:3}:
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5849
       __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
       _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
       spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
       nr_node_lock include/net/netrom.h:152 [inline]
       nr_dec_obs net/netrom/nr_route.c:459 [inline]
       nr_rt_ioctl+0x192/0xfb0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:692
       sock_do_ioctl+0x158/0x460 net/socket.c:1209
       sock_ioctl+0x626/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1328
       vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
       __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:906 [inline]
       __se_sys_ioctl+0xf5/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:892
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

-> #0 (nr_node_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}:
       check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3161 [inline]
       check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3280 [inline]
       validate_chain+0x18ef/0x5920 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3904
       __lock_acquire+0x1397/0x2100 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5226
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5849
       __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
       _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
       spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
       nr_rt_device_down+0xb5/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:517
       nr_device_event+0x134/0x150 net/netrom/af_netrom.c:126
       notifier_call_chain+0x1a5/0x3f0 kernel/notifier.c:85
       __dev_notify_flags+0x207/0x400
       dev_change_flags+0xf0/0x1a0 net/core/dev.c:9026
       dev_ifsioc+0x7c8/0xe70 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:526
       dev_ioctl+0x719/0x1340 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:783
       sock_do_ioctl+0x240/0x460 net/socket.c:1223
       sock_ioctl+0x626/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1328
       vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
       __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:906 [inline]
       __se_sys_ioctl+0xf5/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:892
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

other info that might help us debug this:

Chain exists of:
  nr_node_list_lock --> &nr_node->node_lock --> nr_neigh_list_lock

 Possible unsafe locking scenario:

       CPU0                    CPU1
       ----                    ----
  lock(nr_neigh_list_lock);
                               lock(&nr_node->node_lock);
                               lock(nr_neigh_list_lock);
  lock(nr_node_list_lock);

 *** DEADLOCK ***

2 locks held by syz.3.1344/8689:
 #0: ffffffff8fca0788 (rtnl_mutex){+.+.}-{4:4}, at: dev_ioctl+0x706/0x1340 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:782
 #1: ffffffff8fdf22b8 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}, at: spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
 #1: ffffffff8fdf22b8 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{3:3}, at: nr_rt_device_down+0x28/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:514

stack backtrace:
CPU: 1 UID: 0 PID: 8689 Comm: syz.3.1344 Not tainted 6.13.0-rc4-syzkaller-00012-g9b2ffa6148b1 #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 09/13/2024
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:94 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:120
 print_circular_bug+0x13a/0x1b0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:2074
 check_noncircular+0x36a/0x4a0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:2206
 check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3161 [inline]
 check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3280 [inline]
 validate_chain+0x18ef/0x5920 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3904
 __lock_acquire+0x1397/0x2100 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5226
 lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5849
 __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
 _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
 spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
 nr_rt_device_down+0xb5/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:517
 nr_device_event+0x134/0x150 net/netrom/af_netrom.c:126
 notifier_call_chain+0x1a5/0x3f0 kernel/notifier.c:85
 __dev_notify_flags+0x207/0x400
 dev_change_flags+0xf0/0x1a0 net/core/dev.c:9026
 dev_ifsioc+0x7c8/0xe70 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:526
 dev_ioctl+0x719/0x1340 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:783
 sock_do_ioctl+0x240/0x460 net/socket.c:1223
 sock_ioctl+0x626/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1328
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:906 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xf5/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:892
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
RIP: 0033:0x7f610cf85d29
Code: ff ff c3 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 0f 1f 40 00 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 a8 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007f610dd56038 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000010
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007f610d176160 RCX: 00007f610cf85d29
RDX: 0000000020000000 RSI: 0000000000008914 RDI: 0000000000000004
RBP: 00007f610d001aa8 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 00007f610d176160 R15: 00007ffe09d33fa8
 </TASK>

---
If you want syzbot to run the reproducer, reply with:
#syz test: git://repo/address.git branch-or-commit-hash
If you attach or paste a git patch, syzbot will apply it before testing.