Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH v12 08/13] net: mdio: regmap: add OF support

From: Christian Marangi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2025 18:48:33 +0100

On Sun, Mar 09, 2025 at 05:37:58PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2025 at 06:26:53PM +0100, Christian Marangi wrote:
> > Permit to pass the device node pointer to mdio regmap config and permit
> > mdio registration with an OF node to support DT PHY probe.
> > 
> > With the device node pointer NULL, the normal mdio registration is used.
> 
> Should this be using a device node, or a fwnode?
> 
> It depends _why_ you're adding this, and you omit to state that in the
> commit description (hint - it should say why!)
>

Ugh totally forgot... It should be a device node. The use of the of_
variant of mdiobus register permits to autoprobe PHY defined in device
tree.

The current regmap driver only permit manual probe using the mask value
so it's problematic for MFD usage with an abstract regmap and PHY
autoprobe.

Will add additional info in the commit.

-- 
	Ansuel