Subject: [syzbot] [hams?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Read in nr_add_node

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2025 09:35:25 -0700

Hello,

syzbot found the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    846bd2225ec3 Add linux-next specific files for 20250919
git tree:       linux-next
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=130c08e2580000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=135377594f35b576
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=2860e75836a08b172755
compiler:       Debian clang version 20.1.8 (++20250708063551+0c9f909b7976-1~exp1~20250708183702.136), Debian LLD 20.1.8
syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=13f3fe42580000

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/c53d48022f8a/disk-846bd222.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/483534e784c8/vmlinux-846bd222.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/721b36eec9b3/bzImage-846bd222.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

==================================================================
BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in nr_add_node+0x251b/0x2580 net/netrom/nr_route.c:248
Read of size 2 at addr ffff888078ae2632 by task syz.0.4719/15936

CPU: 0 UID: 0 PID: 15936 Comm: syz.0.4719 Not tainted syzkaller #0 PREEMPT(full) 
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 08/18/2025
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 dump_stack_lvl+0x189/0x250 lib/dump_stack.c:120
 print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:378 [inline]
 print_report+0xca/0x240 mm/kasan/report.c:482
 kasan_report+0x118/0x150 mm/kasan/report.c:595
 nr_add_node+0x251b/0x2580 net/netrom/nr_route.c:248
 nr_rt_ioctl+0x9f1/0xb00 net/netrom/nr_route.c:651
 sock_do_ioctl+0xdc/0x300 net/socket.c:1241
 sock_ioctl+0x576/0x790 net/socket.c:1362
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:597 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:583
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:63 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xfa/0xfa0 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:94
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
RIP: 0033:0x7f29de38ec29
Code: ff ff c3 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 0f 1f 40 00 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 a8 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007f29df216038 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000010
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007f29de5d5fa0 RCX: 00007f29de38ec29
RDX: 0000200000000000 RSI: 000000000000890b RDI: 0000000000000004
RBP: 00007f29de411e41 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 00007f29de5d6038 R14: 00007f29de5d5fa0 R15: 00007ffedaf2ceb8
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 15939:
 kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:56 [inline]
 kasan_save_track+0x3e/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:77
 poison_kmalloc_redzone mm/kasan/common.c:400 [inline]
 __kasan_kmalloc+0x93/0xb0 mm/kasan/common.c:417
 kasan_kmalloc include/linux/kasan.h:262 [inline]
 __kmalloc_cache_noprof+0x3d5/0x6f0 mm/slub.c:5723
 kmalloc_noprof include/linux/slab.h:957 [inline]
 nr_add_node+0x804/0x2580 net/netrom/nr_route.c:146
 nr_rt_ioctl+0x9f1/0xb00 net/netrom/nr_route.c:651
 sock_do_ioctl+0xdc/0x300 net/socket.c:1241
 sock_ioctl+0x576/0x790 net/socket.c:1362
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:597 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:583
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:63 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xfa/0xfa0 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:94
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

Freed by task 15936:
 kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:56 [inline]
 kasan_save_track+0x3e/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:77
 __kasan_save_free_info+0x46/0x50 mm/kasan/generic.c:587
 kasan_save_free_info mm/kasan/kasan.h:406 [inline]
 poison_slab_object mm/kasan/common.c:252 [inline]
 __kasan_slab_free+0x5c/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:284
 kasan_slab_free include/linux/kasan.h:234 [inline]
 slab_free_hook mm/slub.c:2507 [inline]
 slab_free mm/slub.c:6557 [inline]
 kfree+0x19a/0x6d0 mm/slub.c:6765
 nr_add_node+0x1cbe/0x2580 net/netrom/nr_route.c:246
 nr_rt_ioctl+0x9f1/0xb00 net/netrom/nr_route.c:651
 sock_do_ioctl+0xdc/0x300 net/socket.c:1241
 sock_ioctl+0x576/0x790 net/socket.c:1362
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:597 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:583
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:63 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xfa/0xfa0 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:94
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff888078ae2600
 which belongs to the cache kmalloc-64 of size 64
The buggy address is located 50 bytes inside of
 freed 64-byte region [ffff888078ae2600, ffff888078ae2640)

The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
page: refcount:0 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x78ae2
flags: 0xfff00000000000(node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0x7ff)
page_type: f5(slab)
raw: 00fff00000000000 ffff88801b0418c0 ffffea0000c51900 dead000000000004
raw: 0000000000000000 0000000000200020 00000000f5000000 0000000000000000
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x52c40(GFP_NOFS|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_NORETRY|__GFP_COMP), pid 5233, tgid 5233 (udevd), ts 92365645188, free_ts 92323224662
 set_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:32 [inline]
 post_alloc_hook+0x240/0x2a0 mm/page_alloc.c:1850
 prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:1858 [inline]
 get_page_from_freelist+0x21e4/0x22c0 mm/page_alloc.c:3869
 __alloc_frozen_pages_noprof+0x181/0x370 mm/page_alloc.c:5159
 alloc_pages_mpol+0x232/0x4a0 mm/mempolicy.c:2416
 alloc_slab_page mm/slub.c:3023 [inline]
 allocate_slab+0x96/0x3a0 mm/slub.c:3196
 new_slab mm/slub.c:3250 [inline]
 ___slab_alloc+0xe94/0x1920 mm/slub.c:4626
 __slab_alloc+0x65/0x100 mm/slub.c:4745
 __slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:4821 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:5232 [inline]
 __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:5601 [inline]
 __kmalloc_noprof+0x471/0x7f0 mm/slub.c:5614
 kmalloc_noprof include/linux/slab.h:961 [inline]
 kzalloc_noprof include/linux/slab.h:1094 [inline]
 tomoyo_encode2 security/tomoyo/realpath.c:45 [inline]
 tomoyo_encode+0x28b/0x550 security/tomoyo/realpath.c:80
 tomoyo_realpath_from_path+0x58d/0x5d0 security/tomoyo/realpath.c:283
 tomoyo_get_realpath security/tomoyo/file.c:151 [inline]
 tomoyo_path_perm+0x213/0x4b0 security/tomoyo/file.c:822
 security_inode_getattr+0x12f/0x330 security/security.c:2416
 vfs_getattr fs/stat.c:259 [inline]
 vfs_fstat fs/stat.c:281 [inline]
 __do_sys_newfstat fs/stat.c:555 [inline]
 __se_sys_newfstat fs/stat.c:550 [inline]
 __x64_sys_newfstat+0xfc/0x200 fs/stat.c:550
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:63 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xfa/0xfa0 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:94
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
page last free pid 5528 tgid 5528 stack trace:
 reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:25 [inline]
 free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1394 [inline]
 __free_frozen_pages+0xbc4/0xd30 mm/page_alloc.c:2906
 rcu_do_batch kernel/rcu/tree.c:2605 [inline]
 rcu_core+0xcab/0x1770 kernel/rcu/tree.c:2861
 handle_softirqs+0x286/0x870 kernel/softirq.c:622
 __do_softirq kernel/softirq.c:656 [inline]
 invoke_softirq kernel/softirq.c:496 [inline]
 __irq_exit_rcu+0xca/0x1f0 kernel/softirq.c:723
 irq_exit_rcu+0x9/0x30 kernel/softirq.c:739
 instr_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:1052 [inline]
 sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0xa6/0xc0 arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:1052
 asm_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x1a/0x20 arch/x86/include/asm/idtentry.h:697

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffff888078ae2500: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
 ffff888078ae2580: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
>ffff888078ae2600: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
                                     ^
 ffff888078ae2680: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
 ffff888078ae2700: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fc fc fc fc fc fc fc fc
==================================================================

---
This report is generated by a bot. It may contain errors.
See https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ for more information about syzbot.
syzbot engineers can be reached at [email-masked].

syzbot will keep track of this issue. See:
https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status for how to communicate with syzbot.

If the report is already addressed, let syzbot know by replying with:
#syz fix: exact-commit-title

If you want syzbot to run the reproducer, reply with:
#syz test: git://repo/address.git branch-or-commit-hash
If you attach or paste a git patch, syzbot will apply it before testing.

If you want to overwrite report's subsystems, reply with:
#syz set subsystems: new-subsystem
(See the list of subsystem names on the web dashboard)

If the report is a duplicate of another one, reply with:
#syz dup: exact-subject-of-another-report

If you want to undo deduplication, reply with:
#syz undup