Subject: [syzbot] [tipc?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Read in tipc_mon_reinit_self

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2025 21:29:30 -0800

Hello,

syzbot found the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    22f20375f5b7 Merge tag 'pci-v6.17-fixes-3' of git://git.ke..
git tree:       upstream
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=16799b12580000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=f5b21423ca3f0a96
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=d7dad7fd4b3921104957
compiler:       Debian clang version 20.1.8 (++20250708063551+0c9f909b7976-1~exp1~20250708183702.136), Debian LLD 20.1.8

Unfortunately, I don't have any reproducer for this issue yet.

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/6ce5c32a21e3/disk-22f20375.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/a84573ca71a7/vmlinux-22f20375.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/4d073bc5b8a5/bzImage-22f20375.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

tipc: Node number set to 1331188531
==================================================================
BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in __raw_spin_lock_irqsave include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:110 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0xa7/0xf0 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:162
Read of size 1 at addr ffff88805eae1030 by task kworker/0:7/5989

CPU: 0 UID: 0 PID: 5989 Comm: kworker/0:7 Not tainted syzkaller #0 PREEMPT_{RT,(full)} 
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 08/18/2025
Workqueue: events tipc_net_finalize_work
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 dump_stack_lvl+0x189/0x250 lib/dump_stack.c:120
 print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:378 [inline]
 print_report+0xca/0x240 mm/kasan/report.c:482
 kasan_report+0x118/0x150 mm/kasan/report.c:595
 __kasan_check_byte+0x2a/0x40 mm/kasan/common.c:568
 kasan_check_byte include/linux/kasan.h:399 [inline]
 lock_acquire+0x8d/0x360 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5842
 __raw_spin_lock_irqsave include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:110 [inline]
 _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0xa7/0xf0 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:162
 rtlock_slowlock kernel/locking/rtmutex.c:1894 [inline]
 rwbase_rtmutex_lock_state kernel/locking/spinlock_rt.c:160 [inline]
 rwbase_write_lock+0xd3/0x7e0 kernel/locking/rwbase_rt.c:244
 rt_write_lock+0x76/0x110 kernel/locking/spinlock_rt.c:243
 write_lock_bh include/linux/rwlock_rt.h:99 [inline]
 tipc_mon_reinit_self+0x79/0x430 net/tipc/monitor.c:718
 tipc_net_finalize+0x115/0x190 net/tipc/net.c:140
 process_one_work kernel/workqueue.c:3236 [inline]
 process_scheduled_works+0xade/0x17b0 kernel/workqueue.c:3319
 worker_thread+0x8a0/0xda0 kernel/workqueue.c:3400
 kthread+0x70e/0x8a0 kernel/kthread.c:463
 ret_from_fork+0x439/0x7d0 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:148
 ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:245
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 6089:
 kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:47 [inline]
 kasan_save_track+0x3e/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:68
 poison_kmalloc_redzone mm/kasan/common.c:388 [inline]
 __kasan_kmalloc+0x93/0xb0 mm/kasan/common.c:405
 kasan_kmalloc include/linux/kasan.h:260 [inline]
 __kmalloc_cache_noprof+0x1a8/0x320 mm/slub.c:4407
 kmalloc_noprof include/linux/slab.h:905 [inline]
 kzalloc_noprof include/linux/slab.h:1039 [inline]
 tipc_mon_create+0xc3/0x4d0 net/tipc/monitor.c:657
 tipc_enable_bearer net/tipc/bearer.c:357 [inline]
 __tipc_nl_bearer_enable+0xe16/0x13f0 net/tipc/bearer.c:1047
 __tipc_nl_compat_doit net/tipc/netlink_compat.c:371 [inline]
 tipc_nl_compat_doit+0x3bc/0x5f0 net/tipc/netlink_compat.c:393
 tipc_nl_compat_handle net/tipc/netlink_compat.c:-1 [inline]
 tipc_nl_compat_recv+0x83c/0xbe0 net/tipc/netlink_compat.c:1321
 genl_family_rcv_msg_doit+0x215/0x300 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1115
 genl_family_rcv_msg net/netlink/genetlink.c:1195 [inline]
 genl_rcv_msg+0x60e/0x790 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1210
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x208/0x470 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2552
 genl_rcv+0x28/0x40 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1219
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1320 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0x846/0xa10 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1346
 netlink_sendmsg+0x805/0xb30 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1896
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:714 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x21c/0x270 net/socket.c:729
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x508/0x820 net/socket.c:2614
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x21f/0x2a0 net/socket.c:2668
 __sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2700 [inline]
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2705 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2703 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x1a1/0x260 net/socket.c:2703
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:63 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xfa/0x3b0 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:94
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

Freed by task 6088:
 kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:47 [inline]
 kasan_save_track+0x3e/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:68
 kasan_save_free_info+0x46/0x50 mm/kasan/generic.c:576
 poison_slab_object mm/kasan/common.c:243 [inline]
 __kasan_slab_free+0x5b/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:275
 kasan_slab_free include/linux/kasan.h:233 [inline]
 slab_free_hook mm/slub.c:2422 [inline]
 slab_free mm/slub.c:4695 [inline]
 kfree+0x195/0x550 mm/slub.c:4894
 tipc_l2_device_event+0x380/0x650 net/tipc/bearer.c:-1
 notifier_call_chain+0x1b3/0x3e0 kernel/notifier.c:85
 call_netdevice_notifiers_extack net/core/dev.c:2267 [inline]
 call_netdevice_notifiers net/core/dev.c:2281 [inline]
 unregister_netdevice_many_notify+0x14d7/0x1fe0 net/core/dev.c:12166
 unregister_netdevice_many net/core/dev.c:12229 [inline]
 unregister_netdevice_queue+0x33c/0x380 net/core/dev.c:12073
 unregister_netdevice include/linux/netdevice.h:3385 [inline]
 __tun_detach+0xe4d/0x1620 drivers/net/tun.c:621
 tun_detach drivers/net/tun.c:637 [inline]
 tun_chr_close+0x10d/0x1c0 drivers/net/tun.c:3433
 __fput+0x458/0xa80 fs/file_table.c:468
 task_work_run+0x1d4/0x260 kernel/task_work.c:227
 resume_user_mode_work include/linux/resume_user_mode.h:50 [inline]
 exit_to_user_mode_loop+0xec/0x110 kernel/entry/common.c:43
 exit_to_user_mode_prepare include/linux/irq-entry-common.h:225 [inline]
 syscall_exit_to_user_mode_work include/linux/entry-common.h:175 [inline]
 syscall_exit_to_user_mode include/linux/entry-common.h:210 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x2bd/0x3b0 arch/x86/entry/syscall_64.c:100
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff88805eae0000
 which belongs to the cache kmalloc-8k of size 8192
The buggy address is located 4144 bytes inside of
 freed 8192-byte region [ffff88805eae0000, ffff88805eae2000)

The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
page: refcount:0 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x5eae0
head: order:3 mapcount:0 entire_mapcount:0 nr_pages_mapped:0 pincount:0
flags: 0x80000000000040(head|node=0|zone=1)
page_type: f5(slab)
raw: 0080000000000040 ffff888019842280 ffffea0000f4c000 0000000000000004
raw: 0000000000000000 0000000000020002 00000000f5000000 0000000000000000
head: 0080000000000040 ffff888019842280 ffffea0000f4c000 0000000000000004
head: 0000000000000000 0000000000020002 00000000f5000000 0000000000000000
head: 0080000000000003 ffffea00017ab801 00000000ffffffff 00000000ffffffff
head: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 00000000ffffffff 0000000000000008
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 3, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0xd28c0(GFP_NOWAIT|__GFP_IO|__GFP_FS|__GFP_NORETRY|__GFP_COMP|__GFP_NOMEMALLOC), pid 5852, tgid 5852 (syz-executor), ts 97738776876, free_ts 0
 set_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:32 [inline]
 post_alloc_hook+0x240/0x2a0 mm/page_alloc.c:1851
 prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:1859 [inline]
 get_page_from_freelist+0x2119/0x21b0 mm/page_alloc.c:3858
 __alloc_frozen_pages_noprof+0x181/0x370 mm/page_alloc.c:5148
 alloc_pages_mpol+0xd1/0x380 mm/mempolicy.c:2416
 alloc_slab_page mm/slub.c:2492 [inline]
 allocate_slab+0x8a/0x370 mm/slub.c:2660
 new_slab mm/slub.c:2714 [inline]
 ___slab_alloc+0x8d1/0xdc0 mm/slub.c:3901
 __slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3992 [inline]
 __slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:4067 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:4228 [inline]
 __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:4375 [inline]
 __kmalloc_node_track_caller_noprof+0x14c/0x450 mm/slub.c:4395
 kmalloc_reserve+0x136/0x290 net/core/skbuff.c:600
 __alloc_skb+0x142/0x2d0 net/core/skbuff.c:669
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1336 [inline]
 netlink_dump+0x167/0xe90 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2286
 __netlink_dump_start+0x5cb/0x7e0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2442
 genl_family_rcv_msg_dumpit+0x1e7/0x2c0 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1076
 genl_family_rcv_msg net/netlink/genetlink.c:1192 [inline]
 genl_rcv_msg+0x5da/0x790 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1210
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x208/0x470 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2552
 genl_rcv+0x28/0x40 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1219
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1320 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0x846/0xa10 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1346
page_owner free stack trace missing

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffff88805eae0f00: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
 ffff88805eae0f80: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
>ffff88805eae1000: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
                                     ^
 ffff88805eae1080: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
 ffff88805eae1100: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
==================================================================

---
This report is generated by a bot. It may contain errors.
See https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ for more information about syzbot.
syzbot engineers can be reached at [email-masked].

syzbot will keep track of this issue. See:
https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status for how to communicate with syzbot.

If the report is already addressed, let syzbot know by replying with:
#syz fix: exact-commit-title

If you want to overwrite report's subsystems, reply with:
#syz set subsystems: new-subsystem
(See the list of subsystem names on the web dashboard)

If the report is a duplicate of another one, reply with:
#syz dup: exact-subject-of-another-report

If you want to undo deduplication, reply with:
#syz undup