Subject: [syzbot] [wireless?] [usb?] KASAN: stack-out-of-bounds Write in carl9170_handle_command_response

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2026 17:23:30 -0700

Hello,

syzbot found the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    2e6803928193 Merge tag 'tracefs-v7.1-2' of git://git.kerne..
git tree:       https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb.git usb-testing
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=113342ce580000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=37c3a614a8bc8d27
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=5c1ca6ccaa1215781cac
compiler:       gcc (Debian 14.2.0-19) 14.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.44
syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=12acb1ba580000
C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=16acb1ba580000

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/592131f484c3/disk-2e680392.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/2ca791aa3d9c/vmlinux-2e680392.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/3aaca7d6d8d9/bzImage-2e680392.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

usb 4-1: received invalid command response:got 60, instead of 0
usb 4-1: restart device (9)
usb 4-1: received invalid command response:got -2, instead of 0
usb 4-1: received invalid command response:got 60, instead of 4
==================================================================
BUG: KASAN: stack-out-of-bounds in carl9170_cmd_callback drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/rx.c:153 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: stack-out-of-bounds in carl9170_handle_command_response+0x21f/0xc50 drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/rx.c:168
Write of size 60 at addr ffffc900001e7a38 by task swapper/1/0

CPU: 1 UID: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/1 Not tainted syzkaller #0 PREEMPT(full) 
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 04/18/2026
Call Trace:
 <IRQ>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:94 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0x100/0x190 lib/dump_stack.c:120
 print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:378 [inline]
 print_report+0x13d/0x4b0 mm/kasan/report.c:482
 kasan_report+0xdf/0x1d0 mm/kasan/report.c:595
 check_region_inline mm/kasan/generic.c:186 [inline]
 kasan_check_range+0x10f/0x1e0 mm/kasan/generic.c:200
 __asan_memcpy+0x3c/0x60 mm/kasan/shadow.c:106
 carl9170_cmd_callback drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/rx.c:153 [inline]
 carl9170_handle_command_response+0x21f/0xc50 drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/rx.c:168
 carl9170_usb_rx_irq_complete+0xfc/0x1b0 drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/usb.c:307
 __usb_hcd_giveback_urb+0x38d/0x610 drivers/usb/core/hcd.c:1657
 usb_hcd_giveback_urb+0x3ca/0x4a0 drivers/usb/core/hcd.c:1741
 dummy_timer+0xda1/0x36c0 drivers/usb/gadget/udc/dummy_hcd.c:2005
 __run_hrtimer kernel/time/hrtimer.c:1930 [inline]
 __hrtimer_run_queues+0x470/0xa00 kernel/time/hrtimer.c:1994
 hrtimer_run_softirq+0x17d/0x2c0 kernel/time/hrtimer.c:2011
 handle_softirqs+0x1dd/0x9e0 kernel/softirq.c:622
 __do_softirq kernel/softirq.c:656 [inline]
 invoke_softirq kernel/softirq.c:496 [inline]
 __irq_exit_rcu+0x160/0x210 kernel/softirq.c:735
 irq_exit_rcu+0x9/0x30 kernel/softirq.c:752
 instr_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:1061 [inline]
 sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x8f/0xb0 arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:1061
 </IRQ>
 <TASK>
 asm_sysvec_apic_timer_interrupt+0x1a/0x20 arch/x86/include/asm/idtentry.h:697
RIP: 0010:pv_native_safe_halt+0xf/0x20 arch/x86/kernel/paravirt.c:63
Code: d4 b4 01 c3 cc cc cc cc 0f 1f 00 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 f3 0f 1e fa 66 90 0f 00 2d 63 9d 15 00 fb f4 <e9> 7c f2 02 00 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 90 90 90 90 90 90
RSP: 0018:ffffc9000013fe00 EFLAGS: 00000246
RAX: 0000000000046e1b RBX: ffff8881022d9dc0 RCX: ffffffff8770e3f5
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffffffff890d1d42 RDI: ffffffff87b03fe0
RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: ffffed103eae673d
R10: ffff8881f57339eb R11: 0000000000000000 R12: 0000000000000001
R13: ffffed102045b3b8 R14: 0000000000000001 R15: ffffffff8af1a1d0
 arch_safe_halt arch/x86/include/asm/paravirt.h:62 [inline]
 default_idle+0x9/0x10 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:767
 default_idle_call+0x6c/0xb0 kernel/sched/idle.c:122
 cpuidle_idle_call kernel/sched/idle.c:199 [inline]
 do_idle+0x464/0x590 kernel/sched/idle.c:352
 cpu_startup_entry+0x4f/0x60 kernel/sched/idle.c:451
 start_secondary+0x21d/0x2d0 arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c:312
 common_startup_64+0x13e/0x148
 </TASK>

The buggy address belongs to a 8-page vmalloc region starting at 0xffffc900001e0000 allocated at kernel_clone+0x12e/0x9c0 kernel/fork.c:2723
The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
page: refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x102aa7
flags: 0x200000000000000(node=0|zone=2)
raw: 0200000000000000 ffffea00040aa9c8 ffffea00040aa9c8 0000000000000000
raw: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 00000001ffffffff 0000000000000000
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x29c2(GFP_NOWAIT|__GFP_HIGHMEM|__GFP_IO|__GFP_FS|__GFP_ZERO), pid 2, tgid 2 (kthreadd), ts 2543325669, free_ts 0
 set_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:32 [inline]
 post_alloc_hook+0x153/0x170 mm/page_alloc.c:1858
 prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:1866 [inline]
 get_page_from_freelist+0xf34/0x3a90 mm/page_alloc.c:3946
 __alloc_frozen_pages_noprof+0x273/0x28a0 mm/page_alloc.c:5226
 __alloc_pages_noprof+0xb/0x110 mm/page_alloc.c:5260
 __alloc_pages_node_noprof include/linux/gfp.h:289 [inline]
 alloc_pages_node_noprof include/linux/gfp.h:316 [inline]
 vm_area_alloc_pages mm/vmalloc.c:3655 [inline]
 __vmalloc_area_node mm/vmalloc.c:3878 [inline]
 __vmalloc_node_range_noprof+0xe0c/0x1630 mm/vmalloc.c:4064
 __vmalloc_node_noprof+0xad/0xf0 mm/vmalloc.c:4124
 alloc_thread_stack_node kernel/fork.c:357 [inline]
 dup_task_struct kernel/fork.c:926 [inline]
 copy_process+0x7fb/0x7d20 kernel/fork.c:2088
 kernel_clone+0x12e/0x9c0 kernel/fork.c:2723
 kernel_thread+0xdb/0x120 kernel/fork.c:2784
 create_kthread kernel/kthread.c:459 [inline]
 kthreadd+0x498/0x7a0 kernel/kthread.c:817
 ret_from_fork+0x69a/0xc80 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:158
 ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:245
page_owner free stack trace missing

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffffc900001e7900: f1 f1 f1 00 00 00 f3 f3 f3 f3 f3 00 00 00 00 00
 ffffc900001e7980: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>ffffc900001e7a00: 00 f1 f1 f1 f1 f1 f1 04 f2 04 f3 f3 f3 00 00 00
                                        ^
 ffffc900001e7a80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 ffffc900001e7b00: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
==================================================================
----------------
Code disassembly (best guess), 1 bytes skipped:
   0:	b4 01                	mov    $0x1,%ah
   2:	c3                   	ret
   3:	cc                   	int3
   4:	cc                   	int3
   5:	cc                   	int3
   6:	cc                   	int3
   7:	0f 1f 00             	nopl   (%rax)
   a:	90                   	nop
   b:	90                   	nop
   c:	90                   	nop
   d:	90                   	nop
   e:	90                   	nop
   f:	90                   	nop
  10:	90                   	nop
  11:	90                   	nop
  12:	90                   	nop
  13:	90                   	nop
  14:	90                   	nop
  15:	90                   	nop
  16:	90                   	nop
  17:	90                   	nop
  18:	90                   	nop
  19:	90                   	nop
  1a:	f3 0f 1e fa          	endbr64
  1e:	66 90                	xchg   %ax,%ax
  20:	0f 00 2d 63 9d 15 00 	verw   0x159d63(%rip)        # 0x159d8a
  27:	fb                   	sti
  28:	f4                   	hlt
* 29:	e9 7c f2 02 00       	jmp    0x2f2aa <-- trapping instruction
  2e:	66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 	cs nopw 0x0(%rax,%rax,1)
  35:	00 00 00
  38:	66 90                	xchg   %ax,%ax
  3a:	90                   	nop
  3b:	90                   	nop
  3c:	90                   	nop
  3d:	90                   	nop
  3e:	90                   	nop

---
This report is generated by a bot. It may contain errors.
See https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ for more information about syzbot.
syzbot engineers can be reached at [email-masked].

syzbot will keep track of this issue. See:
https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status for how to communicate with syzbot.

If the report is already addressed, let syzbot know by replying with:
#syz fix: exact-commit-title

If you want syzbot to run the reproducer, reply with:
#syz test: git://repo/address.git branch-or-commit-hash
If you attach or paste a git patch, syzbot will apply it before testing.

If you want to overwrite report's subsystems, reply with:
#syz set subsystems: new-subsystem
(See the list of subsystem names on the web dashboard)

If the report is a duplicate of another one, reply with:
#syz dup: exact-subject-of-another-report

If you want to undo deduplication, reply with:
#syz undup