Subject: RE: [PATCH net-next v20 10/13] rtase: Implement ethtool function

From: Justin Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 03:40:23 +0000

> 
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2024 07:28:13 +0000 Justin Lai wrote:
> > > Are you basically saying that since its an error it only matters if
> > > its zero or not? It's not going to be a great experience for anyone
> > > trying to use this driver. You can read this counter periodically
> > > from a timer and accumulate a fuller value in the driver. There's
> > > even struct ethtool_coalesce::stats_block_coalesce_usecs if you want
> > > to let user configure the period.
> >
> > As we've discussed, as long as this counter has a value, it can inform
> > the user that the host speed is too slow, and it will not affect other
> > transmission functions. Can we add this periodic reading function
> > after this patch version is merged?
> 
> You'd have to remove reporting of all 16b packet statistics and 32b byte
> statistics completely for now, and then follow up adding them with the
> periodic overflow checks.

Thank you for your reply, I will remove the 16b packet statistics and 32b
byte statistics report in this version.