Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: qualcomm: rmnet: Allow partial updates of IFLA_FLAGS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 22:04:13 -0600

> I recently posted a patch to iproute2 extending the rmnet link handling
> to handle IFLA_RMNET_FLAGS, in the discussion that followed this 
> subject
> came up. So nothing is broken, it's just that the current logic doesn't
> make sense and I wanted to attempt to fix it before we start to use it
> commonly distributed userspace software (iproute2, libqmi etc)

With this patch, passing IFLA_RMNET_FLAGS in newlink vs changelink will 
have
different behavior. Is that inline with your expectations.

I checked VLAN and it seems to be using the same behavior for both the 
operations.
While the patch itself is fine, I don't think its right to have 
different
behavior for the operations.

> Okay, please let me know what hoops you want me to jump through. I just
> want the subject concluded so that I can respin my iproute2 patch
> according to what we decide here.

My suggestion is to have the subject prefix as [PATCH net-next] since 
this
is an enhancement rather than fixing something which is broken.