Subject: Re: [PATCH diagnostic] Re: HPET regression in 2.6.26 versus 2.6.25 -- RCU problem

From: David Witbrodt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

> And attached is the kernel module I used to test the patch, for whatever
> that might be worth.

Thank you for that, too.  I have some questions and a comment:

1.  This module can only be loaded from a working system, right?  You
mean that _you_ tested the kernel code on _your_ system to see if it
was working correctly, and did not mean that I should use this with
the problematic kernels on my system?  I could easily run this with
something like 'modprobe stall' on my working machine, or on the
problem machine if I boot with the "hpet=disabled" parameter, but
doing so would not help us find the problem, right?

2.  Coincidentally, I had started reading Understanding the Linux Kernel
(first edition, 2000) about a week before I got socked with the kernel
freeze issue.  I was reading it at work -- I work as a tutor, and there
are sometimes slow times without students to help -- but haven't had a
chance to do so in the best 10 days while I've been struggling with my
own kernel problem.  It is also quite out-of-date -- published in 2000,
and discussing the 2.2 kernel line.  I know that there have been a
couple of new editions since then, but I just happened to have this first
edition on my shelf... so I took it into work for a little light reading.

Anyway, I have a lot on my personal TODO list for the fall, but maybe
early next year I will have a chance to play with the kernel for fun.
When I do so, I will have your new, experimental module to look at...
among tons of other things.

Thanks,
Dave W.