Subject: Re: 2.6.13-rc4-mm1: iptables DROP crashes the computer

From: Espen Fjellvær Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:43:06 +0200

On 07/08/05, Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 07:12:00PM +0200, Espen Fjellvær Olsen wrote:
> 
> > After execing "iptables -A INPUT -j DROP" my computer crashes hard. It
> > dosent hang immediately, but after a couple of seconds.
> > The machine is an amd64, running a clean x86_64 environment.
> > uname -a: Linux gentoo 2.6.13-rc4-mm1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 4 01:01:44
> > CEST 2005 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ AuthenticAMD
> >...
> 
> Is this reproducible or did it happen only once?

It is reproducible, happens each time when running "iptables -A INPUT
-j DROP", other rules like "iptables -A INPUT -m --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT" works well tho.

> Are there any messages that might give a hint where to search for the
> problem?

The kernel log dont give any messages before the crash, and since the
computer crash hard i cant check for relevant messages after the crash
;)
 
> You are reporting this against 2.6.13-rc4-mm1, but are attaching a
> .config of 2.6.13-rc5-mm1. Which kernels are affected, and which are
> not?

Im sorry about that glitch, recently compiled 2.6.13-rc5-mm1, but i
got a kernel panic at boot, havent looked into that yet, but it might
be related to ACPI.

The config for rc4-mm1 and rc5-mm1 is similar.

> Does it still happen if you compile your kernel with preemption
> disabled?

Havent tried this yet, but ill do it right away.

> Please send the output of ./scripts/ver_linux .

If some fields are empty or look unusual you may have an old version.
Compare to the current minimal requirements in Documentation/Changes.

Linux gentoo 2.6.13-rc4-mm1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 4 01:01:44 CEST 2005
x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Gnu C                  3.4.4
Gnu make               3.80
binutils               2.16.1
util-linux             2.12q
mount                  2.12q
module-init-tools      3.2-pre7
e2fsprogs              1.38
reiserfsprogs          line
reiser4progs           line
xfsprogs               2.6.25
Linux C Library        2.3.5
Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.3.5
Procps                 3.2.5
Net-tools              1.60
Kbd                    1.12
Sh-utils               5.2.1
udev                   065
Modules Loaded         iptable_filter ip_tables snd_seq_midi
snd_emu10k1_synth snd_emux_synth snd_seq_virmidi snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_midi_emul snd_seq snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss rtc ntfs
snd_emu10k1 snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm
snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_util_mem snd_hwdep snd soundcore
usb_storage uhci_hcd usbcore

-- 
Mvh / Best regards
Espen Fjellvær Olsen
[email-masked]
Norway