Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] bonding: make device count build-time configurable

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 08:34:12 -0800

Lubomir Rintel <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The devices can be created at run-time for quite some time already and the
>load-time device creation collides with attempts to create the device of
>the same name:
>
>  # rmmod bonding
>  # ip link add bond0 type bond
>  RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>
>This is pretty much the same situation as was with the block loop devices
>which was solved by adding a build-time configuration that the
>distributions could use as they deem fit while keeping the default for
>compatibility.

	I agree this is annoying, but I would expect distros to leave
this set to 1 (for backwards compatibility with scripts that "modprobe
bonding" then assume bond0 exists).  This leaves the problem in place
for the vast majority of users.

	Is there a reasonable way to resolve this that would actually
fix things for regular distro kernel users?

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, [email-masked]