Subject: Re: [PATCH V2 net] ibmvnic: Continue with reset if set link down failed

From: Dany Madden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 12:05:38 -0700

On 2021-04-22 19:26, Rick Lindsley wrote:
> On 4/22/21 10:21 AM, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> 
>> Merging do_reset and do_hard_reset might be a good code cleanup which 
>> is
>> out of the scope of this fix.
> 
> I agree, on both points. Accepting the patch, and improving the reset
> path are not in conflict with each other.
> 
> My position is that improving the reset path is certainly on the table,
> but not with this bug or this fix.  Within the context of this 
> discovered
> problem, the issue is well understood, the fix is small and addresses 
> the
> immediate problem, and it has not generated new bugs under subsequent
> testing.  For those reasons, the submitted patch has my support.
> 
> Rick

Thanks for all the feedback on the patch. Refactoring the ibmvnic reset 
functions is something we plan to evaluate, as this would potentially 
simplify the reset code. In the mean time, the proposed patch is simple, 
and has been validated in our test environment to solve an issue 
resulting in vnic interfaces getting stuck in an offline state following 
a vnic timeout reset. Given that, I suggest we merge this patch while we 
look at further optimizations in future. I will submit a V3 patch 
shortly.

Dany