Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 3/3] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: mac-auth/MAB implementation

From: Hans Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:13:51 +0100

On tis, mar 22, 2022 at 13:08, Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:01:13PM +0100, Hans Schultz wrote:
>> On fre, mar 18, 2022 at 15:19, Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 02:10:26PM +0100, Hans Schultz wrote:
>> >> In the offloaded case there is no difference between static and dynamic
>> >> flags, which I see as a general issue. (The resulting ATU entry is static
>> >> in either case.)
>> >
>> > It _is_ a problem. We had the same problem with the is_local bit.
>> > Independently of this series, you can add the dynamic bit to struct
>> > switchdev_notifier_fdb_info and make drivers reject it.
>> >
>> >> These FDB entries are removed when link goes down (soft or hard). The
>> >> zero DPV entries that the new code introduces age out after 5 minutes,
>> >> while the locked flagged FDB entries are removed by link down (thus the
>> >> FDB and the ATU are not in sync in this case).
>> >
>> > Ok, so don't let them disappear from hardware, refresh them from the
>> > driver, since user space and the bridge driver expect that they are
>> > still there.
>> 
>> I have now tested with two extra unmanaged switches (each connected to a
>> seperate port on our managed switch, and when migrating from one port to
>> another, there is member violations, but as the initial entry ages out,
>> a new miss violation occurs and the new port adds the locked entry. In
>> this case I only see one locked entry, either on the initial port or
>> later on the port the host migrated to (via switch).
>> 
>> If I refresh the ATU entries indefinitly, then this migration will for
>> sure not work, and with the member violation suppressed, it will be
>> silent about it.
>
> Manual says that migrations should trigger miss violations if configured
> adequately, is this not the case?
>
>> So I don't think it is a good idea to refresh the ATU entries
>> indefinitely.
>> 
>> Another issue I see, is that there is a deadlock or similar issue when
>> receiving violations and running 'bridge fdb show' (it seemed that
>> member violations also caused this, but not sure yet...), as the unit
>> freezes, not to return...
>
> Have you enabled lockdep, debug atomic sleep, detect hung tasks, things
> like that?

I have now determined that it is the rtnl_lock() that causes the
"deadlock". The doit() in rtnetlink.c is under rtnl_lock() and is what
takes care of getting the fdb entries when running 'bridge fdb show'. In
principle there should be no problem with this, but I don't know if some
interrupt queue is getting jammed as they are blocked from rtnetlink.c?