Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next v8 10/13] net: netdevsim: ptp_mock: Convert to netdev_ptp_clock_register

From: Rahul Rameshbabu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:48:30 -0800

On Fri, 16 Feb, 2024 16:52:28 +0100 Kory Maincent <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The hardware registration clock for net device is now using
> netdev_ptp_clock_register to save the net_device pointer within the PTP
> clock xarray. netdevsim is registering its ptp through the mock driver.
> It is the only driver using the mock driver to register a ptp clock.
> Convert the mock driver to the new API.
>
> Signed-off-by: Kory Maincent <[email-masked]>
> ---
> Shouldn't we move the mock driver in the netdevsim directory as it is only
> used by netdevsim driver?

This gets interesting. I think the reason it live under drivers/ptp
rather than drivers/net/netdevsim is because a bunch of reference/simple
phc implementations live under drivers/ptp already. In the case of mlx5,
it lives under the mlx5 driver directory to avoid needing to export
symbols between some mlx5_ptp driver and the netdev driver. I think
since the mock-up driver makes for a good reference for developers
wanting to know what it would take to implement the functionality for a
phc, it is fine living under drivers/ptp. That is just my opinion
though.

> Changes in v8:
> - New patch
> ---

Reviewed-by: Rahul Rameshbabu <[email-masked]>